PVC Flexible Awning Channel

Varadero replied on 05/08/2022 18:42

Posted on 05/08/2022 18:42

I have a Bailey Orion 430-4 that only has an awning channel on the nearside (quite strange?). To use a towing cover, I purchased a towing cover which came with a number of adhesive snap-on fixings for the offside, These fittings adhere for so long then come unstuck and especially as the expensive towing cover has a tendency to shrink putting more pulling pressure on these fixings. The towing cover has now given up the ghost completely just by becoming stressed and has just torn itself apart (has been a bit of a snowflake for years) an I wouldn't buy another. So I want to put a pvc semi flexible self adhesive awning channel like Flex-A-Rail Awning Track White 1.5m Semi Rigid PVC sold by http://www.bainbridgeint.com/Item.aspx?Item=PRD-900213&PartNo=G512015. This company seems to be trade only and nobody else seems to stock it but it's readily available in the U.S.A from just about everybody but with postage rates up to $2000 to the UK. There are plenty of aluminium extrusions available but unfortunately it doesn't go round curves!

So does anyone know of a source for this product in the UK I wonder

Thank you for any help

Richard

eribaMotters replied on 05/08/2022 19:48

Posted on 05/08/2022 19:48

Richard, we looked at a Knaus Sport recently and that does not have an awning track on "the other side", so I'm guessing this is not all that unusual.

With most vans now using a bonded aluminium side wall construction can't you simply fix a length of awning track to the side of the van to accept the towing cover.

I've fixed a length to two previous vans using stainless screws and Sikaflex to support a Fiamma Caravanstore awning that was left on 365 days a year. If the fixing will hold up to this it is easily capable of coping with a towing cover.

Why not a length of this to cover 90% of the length and a sucker to hold the bit where you cannot bend the profile as required.

Or if you do not mind a bit of work, draw the shape of the curve you want onto a sheet of plywood and slowly bend and screw into place the profile, remove and then fix to van.

Colin

Varadero replied on 06/08/2022 14:52

Posted on 06/08/2022 14:52

Hi Colin

Thank you for your quick reply. I guess you mean bending a piece of aluminium track on a piece of plywood using screws and using a template of the curve from the caravan ? If the aluminium will bend then yes that would do the job? What say you!

Richard

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook