Portable freezer

Pilgrimphil replied on 03/07/2021 13:40

Posted on 03/07/2021 13:40

We are investigating the possibility of using a portable freezer as extra freezer capacity whilst we are on tour. We have seen 12/24v versions and wonder if anyone has had experience of these & how practical [or otherwise] they are.

We think that our lockers are large enough to be able to store the unit but would need to install a dedicated 12/24v supply.

Bakers2 replied on 04/07/2021 13:46

Posted on 04/07/2021 13:46

Can't advise or help on the equipment but would ask if you've considered the additional weight implications?

Not an expert on weights and limits, know they are for the whole vehicle and each axle, little knowledge a dangerous thing? But some pay loads are extremely tight once you add in humans and very basic equipment and clothing etc.

I hope someone comes along with something useful soon.

Navigateur replied on 04/07/2021 14:08

Posted on 04/07/2021 14:08

I use a portable fridge/freeer on longer trips. It works on the same three power sources as the one in the caravan and is heavy when empty and very heavy when full.  It will actually freeze things but takes ages, so I freeze new stuff in the caravan freezer and transfer them once solid.

As I have a trailer caravan I don't have a weight/space problem as the unit travels on one of the back seats of the Land Rover.

eribaMotters replied on 04/07/2021 20:05

Posted on 04/07/2021 20:05

Going back to about 2012 we bought a LEC table top fridge and matching LEC freezer. At that time we lived in Essex and would load the freezer a couple of days before leaving for our summer trip to the Loire or Dordogne in France. At 3am we would unplug the freezer, put it in the boot and set off. At mid/late afternoon when we set up on mains electricity everything was still frozen solid.

Skip forwards to 2019 and we are now on Merseyside. Freezer unplugged at 8pm showing -18/21c and we set off for France. 650+ miles later, 4pm next day and after an hour of standing before we plug into the mains it is still showing -9c to -12c.

You do not need to worry about keeping the freezer powered.

With a change in Euro laws about taking food abroad we have recently bought a 240/12v hybrid fridge/freezer. On 12v this will hold 20c below ambient and on mains run at -15c. In the UK we will fill this and run it as a freezer. When we go to France we will take this as a second fridge. 

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook