Porch awning size

Mollieperkins replied on 25/07/2019 19:59

Posted on 25/07/2019 19:59

Hi all

We are new to caravanning and need advice regarding a porch awning please, which type do you recommend?

We are thinking of an air one rather than the type with poles to reduce damage to our van. 

We have a Bailey Unnicorn Seville 2011, does anyone know which  size of porch awning fits our van? 

Thank you 

richardandros replied on 29/07/2019 14:28

Posted on 29/07/2019 14:28

Since no one has replied to your query, I will do my best to assist you!

Unless someone corrects me a 'porch' awning is any awning which is not a 'full' awning - so, basically, it can be any size you want it to be, providing you have enough straight run of awning rail to accommodate it.

Two measurements to check - firstly, the height of the awning rail from the ground - but I think most awnings will fit a Unicorn. Secondly, measure from just past the front of the door to whichever window or windows you want it to clear.  Whilst it isn't essential to have the rear edge of the awning clearing a window, it's best if you can, thereby avoiding any possibility of scratches.

Just to give you a couple of examples, on our last U3 Barcelona, we had a small (220) porch awning which just covered the doorway and first window - but we also had a 390 which covered from the doorway to just past the second window down that side.

moulesy replied on 29/07/2019 14:36

Posted on 29/07/2019 14:36

Mollie - air awnings sound fine but can be quite heavy and not all that easy to erect from what I've seen.

We've recently bought a Sunncamp swift 260 deluxe awning - dead easy to put up single-handed and no poles in contact with the side of the van. Might suit you. Have a look here. smile

http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/products/show/1479

richardandros replied on 29/07/2019 17:46

Posted on 29/07/2019 14:36 by moulesy

Mollie - air awnings sound fine but can be quite heavy and not all that easy to erect from what I've seen.

We've recently bought a Sunncamp swift 260 deluxe awning - dead easy to put up single-handed and no poles in contact with the side of the van. Might suit you. Have a look here. smile

http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/products/show/1479

Posted on 29/07/2019 17:46

Agree Moulesy - your 260 is similar to our 220 and has given good service over the years and still looks as good as new.

Having also got the Sunncamp Air 380 (for winter use), I have to say it's very light and not at all difficult to get on the rail - unlike our other awning - a Kampa 390 Grande with which we do struggle!

markflip replied on 01/08/2019 21:12

Posted on 01/08/2019 21:12

+1 for the suncamp swift 260 - even single handed it's up in <10 minutes, very light, sturdy and watertight and dries very quickly if it gets wet too. We tend to use ours literally as a porch, for wet clothes after walking, boots/shoes etc and a cool box, but in nice weather the front rolls up or if you have two extra poles you can have it as a canopy and it's big enough for our two comfy chairs and little table to eat/sit out in/under.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook