Poor advice from the C&MC

jennyc replied on 17/09/2020 17:15

Posted on 17/09/2020 17:15

While exploring the C&MC web site the other day, I spotted one of their adverts offering discounted purchases for club members. The discount quoted was 10%. Despite the fact that the Club advert didn’t provide a link to the discount site, l realised that the shop in question was Primaleisure.com.

Having just had our third Omnivent controller fail, a Club discount sounded enticing, especially since online retailers wanted over £70 for the part with a few in the £60 range.

Promaleisure, who we are encouraged to buy at a discount through, by the C&MC, are charging £144.98, minus 10% for us members. That doesn’t look like a helping hand to me. In fact it looks like wantonly poor advice.

Since we’re paid up members of the C&MC, would it be unreasonable to ask them to switch their loyalties from overpriced retailers, back to us members who, indirectly are their employers?

JVB66 replied on 17/09/2020 17:48

Posted on 17/09/2020 17:48

Prima leisure are i understand an offshoot of the Bailey caravans group  so are not the cheapest,but the item may not be quite the same as others thet could well be "copies" as we found out when buying our "Fiamma"? security handle

Freedom a whitebox replied on 17/09/2020 19:59

Posted on 17/09/2020 19:59

Before you buy, please check that they actually have the part in stock!

Prima leisure appears to be having supply issues and have long or expanding delivery dates.

I am still waiting for an order from July. I have cancelled a couple of orders with them. I have received some orders but as part orders in two or more delivery over weeks.

DavidKlyne replied on 17/09/2020 20:36

Posted on 17/09/2020 20:36

If you are buying something as expensive as that it probably pays to shop around regardless of enticing offers from the Club! In fairness to Prima Leisure I have found things on their website which are quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere. Winter fridge covers where a case in point. I am currently thinking about swapping the steel rims on my motorhome for alloys and Prima Leisure (Bailey) are as competitive as independent suppliers.

David

Dad of Two replied on 21/09/2020 14:11

Posted on 17/09/2020 17:15 by jennyc

While exploring the C&MC web site the other day, I spotted one of their adverts offering discounted purchases for club members. The discount quoted was 10%. Despite the fact that the Club advert didn’t provide a link to the discount site, l realised that the shop in question was Primaleisure.com.

Having just had our third Omnivent controller fail, a Club discount sounded enticing, especially since online retailers wanted over £70 for the part with a few in the £60 range.

Promaleisure, who we are encouraged to buy at a discount through, by the C&MC, are charging £144.98, minus 10% for us members. That doesn’t look like a helping hand to me. In fact it looks like wantonly poor advice.

Since we’re paid up members of the C&MC, would it be unreasonable to ask them to switch their loyalties from overpriced retailers, back to us members who, indirectly are their employers?

Posted on 21/09/2020 14:11

Hi

The discount from Tayna Batteries under “Member offers” as was another few of the offers have been very beneficial for us but PRIMA for the shop has not.

Having just switched from Motorhome to Caravan we needed a massive amount of new equipment (according to the better half) so I thought it would be prudent to use the club shop but everything we required we could get cheaper elsewhere as David says some items will be competitive but they certainly were not for our requirements.  They are not the only ones either Just now I looked at Colapz via the link on members offers for a waste hose £31.95 with discount, Amazon £29.99, not a lot in the grand scheme of things but on the amount of items we have bought of late “every little helps” some items we got elsewhere had far greater savings than that.

We would have added a fair bit of our hard earned to our overall spend if we had not shopped around I still believe the club offers good value for money we have had some good savings over the years but unfortunately not from the shop. 

markflip replied on 22/09/2020 18:32

Posted on 22/09/2020 18:32

This is not a problem with the C&MC - the RSPB send me leaflets with a 'member discount' off very expensive bird food, British canoeing give me discounts off expensive wrap around towels/dry bags etc etc.  You will very rarely get a huge bargain from any 'club shop' in my experience, but you pay less than anyone else buying like for like. 

Like DavidKlyne, I have found Prima Leisure to be competitively priced for some things (but overpriced for others).  The C&M Club discount I have had the most use out of is in Moutain Warehouse and that's excellent considering their good value to start with.

BrianJosie replied on 25/09/2020 08:15

Posted on 25/09/2020 08:15

Having had a tyre business in the retail sector for 35yrs Ihave never been a fan of the word discount .Its something we never get involved with .The word discount creates all sorts of problems and false securities with the general public.We just give people the best and fairest price that we can and always include VAT.We have just purchased a new Honda petrol engine for the compressor on one of our mobile vans at a cost of £470.00 +vat and i know that you can buy chinese copies which look identical and are badged up Honda but they are rubbish and that why they are about £300.00 .So be very wary about the word Discount!!

Brian & Jo

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 25/09/2020 08:35

Posted on 25/09/2020 08:15 by BrianJosie

Having had a tyre business in the retail sector for 35yrs Ihave never been a fan of the word discount .Its something we never get involved with .The word discount creates all sorts of problems and false securities with the general public.We just give people the best and fairest price that we can and always include VAT.We have just purchased a new Honda petrol engine for the compressor on one of our mobile vans at a cost of £470.00 +vat and i know that you can buy chinese copies which look identical and are badged up Honda but they are rubbish and that why they are about £300.00 .So be very wary about the word Discount!!

Brian & Jo

Posted on 25/09/2020 08:35

+1, I agree 100%, a very low price to me is very low quality. I have a figure I feel is fair & I will pay it. ‘Be wary of discount’?, sage advice👍🏻

DavidKlyne replied on 25/09/2020 10:10

Posted on 25/09/2020 08:15 by BrianJosie

Brian & Jo

Posted on 25/09/2020 10:10

A concept I have tried to explain to my wife over the years without a great deal of successwink

I suppose one major advantage of the internet is that it is easy to check prices from one source with another which soon confirms if something is a bargain. Another thing you have to be mindful of is the addition cost of delivery. Some are better value than others but you have to consider the overall cost.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook