Pitching Awning On A Slope

Mulan replied on 17/05/2017 07:54

Posted on 17/05/2017 07:54

Hi All,

Due to visit Nicholston Farm in June. Whilst we love the facilities and views and location, the pitches are all sloped.. We would like to take our full awning (size 1100) for oudr Bailey Barcelona. But I'm concerned because of the slope front to back can differ by about 18-24", which means we have a massive gap at one end.

Whilst I appreciate we can move pitches if available, we may well be limited. I've heard suggestions of sliding the awning round to accomadate the slope, but as the awaning is symetrical, won't this make things difficult? Can you not buy awning skirt extensions?

Ive seen some suggestions of purchasing a larger awning but this is not an option for us.

Thanks

foot-in-mouth

Alex Cassells replied on 17/05/2017 21:54

Posted on 17/05/2017 21:54

Hi Mulan, yes it definitely makes things more difficult, but it can be done. We have regularly had to set up a full awning on a slope. It will never look or be as spot on as on a level pitch, because yes you have to slide it further to one side or the other. But providing that the ground at one end is lower and the ground at the other end is higher, you should be able to have both ends touching the ground to allow you to peg out. Sorry it's not a great explanation, but hopefully you get the gist. Never seen an extension kit, sorry and good luck.

ocsid replied on 18/05/2017 06:48

Posted on 18/05/2017 06:48

I agree that with a full conventional poled awning, its ability to slide within the rail and to adjust the "leg" pole height allows quite tolerable pitching on fore to aft sloping sites.

However, aesthetics aside where issues can be encountered is the draining from the "upside" roof. There is here a danger of pooling in that side where its slope is compromised by the rising ground.

You can offset this to an extent by living with a very short hem to ground gap that side or even drop the leg pole to live with a bit of "Nora Batty stockings" effect in the side wall, if rain threatens.

I would with my Isabella Ambassador use a few spare elastic pegging loops so as to be able to extend the normal pegging loops a bit and live with a rather deep bit of skirt on the downhill edges. Other awnings may have similar means to extent their pegging loops, or use the Isabella ones looped onto them?

Rayrowe35 replied on 19/05/2017 22:13

Posted on 19/05/2017 22:13

The end to end situation can be dealt with as described, but a slope across the pitch is another story. An awning on the low side is OK, but on the high side prevents drainage and is impractical.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook