Omnivent fan motor

DoctorB replied on 25/02/2013 16:21

Posted on 25/02/2013 16:21

(Moved from Touring Cheaper)

Our 4 year old caravan was recently serviced and the engineer noted that the Omnivent motor was ‘on its way out’.  The motor was noisy, lacking power and reluctant to start.  New motors (with fan) cost around £90.  I decided to investigate, the motor is easy to remove and I found that, once removed, the casing could be separated into two halves.  This immediately revealed the problem, one of the brushes was stuck in its holder and not contacting the commutator properly.  Having freed this and applied a little WD40 to the brush holders the motor is now working fine.  The case was resealed with a liquid gasket on reassembly.  I was impressed by the build quality of the fan motor, with substantial roller bearings top and bottom and the sealed metal casing – looked to me like the fan should outlast the caravan!  I noticed from the internet that a number of users had similar problems and replaced the motor at considerable expense – I wonder how often this may have been unnecessary expense if the problem was simply a sticky brush – given the build quality of the motor I would expect it to have a long life.

CraigieGrant replied on 30/06/2018 14:08

Posted on 30/06/2018 14:08

Hi, can I ask how you accessed the motor brushes? My motor seems to be a sealed metal unit.

Randomcamper replied on 10/07/2018 18:29

Posted on 10/07/2018 18:29

I can never get an answer from my doctor either..........

But given 5 years have passed, perhaps it's not surprising......

wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook