New negative battery clamp needed

greylag replied on 05/03/2023 17:24

Posted on 05/03/2023 17:24

I have had problems with the quick release negative battery clamp struggling to remain tight.  So I have decided to replace it with the old fashioned nut and bolt type clamp, I'm just not sure of the Amp rating....it is a 2.3 Ducato.  Any help would be appreciated. 

mickysf replied on 05/03/2023 17:46

Posted on 05/03/2023 17:46

Not sure the clamps have ratings, more to do with the capacity of the wiring connected to them. Even with a tight clamp problems can occur. Best to clean both the battery poles and the camps then use a proper battery terminal grease for best performance. This can make a big difference. I have used quick release clamps in the past with no problems but they too needed attention now and again. In fact I was just contemplating changing over to these on my latest van.

greylag replied on 05/03/2023 19:17

Posted on 05/03/2023 19:17

I went online to have a look and they all had various ratings, I just thought it must be important.   The quick release one currently in place does not always give a tight grip and there is no way to tighten the clamp.

I think I will not replace the complete strap, just the actual clamp.

Thanks for your reply. 

mickysf replied on 05/03/2023 20:27

Posted on 05/03/2023 20:27

Hopefully this is helpful, when I worked on battery terminals I find it helpful to turn off the systems/control panel etc in the van and remove the inline fuse on the positive lead from the battery before disconnecting and working on the clamps.  Put the fuse back in only when you are happy with the corrective work you have done. You must of course take the usual precautions with the battery but at least it’s disconnected from the vital electronic components before you start.

greylag replied on 06/03/2023 08:21

Posted on 06/03/2023 08:21

Mick

You are spot on about isolating the systems from the battery.  I recently had the engine management light  come up, finished up having to replace the ECU.  I believe poor battery connection might have been the issue.

Away from home I once had the warning power steering light come on, I spoke to recovery firm and they were going to recover me the next day.  I then checked the battery connections and sure enough it was not tight enough, wiggled it and light went out.  No need for recovery.

I will try and find the inline fuse....a good tip!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook