Need replacement jockey wheel

JuCee replied on 14/07/2019 09:57

Posted on 14/07/2019 09:57

Hi all - on our recent trip home we hit a bump and it caught the jockey wheel which is now totally broken - bent forks and damaged tyre.  We have a 2003 Elddis Avante which is fitted with a Winterhoff jockey wheel but there is no part number on it or any of the caravan documents we have.  I measured it is 48mm but I have done lots of searches and there seem to be a few to choose from so not sure which one I should be getting - any advice would be much appreciated.

JVB66 replied on 14/07/2019 10:06

Posted on 14/07/2019 10:06

If you can remove it ,i suggest a trip to your local caravan or trailer dealer with it and see what they have,it may be a winterhoff but most are interchangable

lornalou1 replied on 14/07/2019 12:12

Posted on 14/07/2019 12:12

These are getting some good reviews on youtube. Have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmc7JqzWHkQ&t=119s

Wildwood replied on 14/07/2019 12:16

Posted on 14/07/2019 12:16

When we needed a new jockey wheel when on site we visited the nearest dealer who had unbranded and ALKO ones. The ALKO was £2 more and clearly better made so it was no contest for us. Various makes are available but I would be concerned at the quality of makes I have not heard of, as those I have seen have not been that good on inspection. Possibly looking at one first to check it is needed.

Sandgroper replied on 15/07/2019 10:13

Posted on 15/07/2019 10:13

On our latest visit to club sites in the UK the hard standings have quite large gravel surfaces which the nosewheel seems to dig into. I have already replaced the old plastic wheel, which had failed, but will now change to a wider metal wheel.

There are plenty on the market and they aren't too expensive!

Mr H replied on 17/07/2019 18:15

Posted on 17/07/2019 18:15

Recently we changed our jockey wheel after much deliberation. We chose the one sold through the club shop. Whilst fairly expensive I have been impressed with a number of features. The materials used are very robust, The wheel has bearings making it change direction very easily. The winder is exceptionally light to turn and features a slight locking device to prevent it vibrating undone when travelling in the stored position. This is by far the best jockey wheel we have had. Hope this helps.

commeyras replied on 19/07/2019 14:45

Posted on 19/07/2019 14:45

Little to add.  I had to replace a jockey wheel this season.  Got from my dealer, removal and fitting where simple, just remember not to lose the split pin as the replacement may not come with onesurprised

Merve replied on 19/07/2019 21:25

Posted on 14/07/2019 09:57 by JuCee

Hi all - on our recent trip home we hit a bump and it caught the jockey wheel which is now totally broken - bent forks and damaged tyre.  We have a 2003 Elddis Avante which is fitted with a Winterhoff jockey wheel but there is no part number on it or any of the caravan documents we have.  I measured it is 48mm but I have done lots of searches and there seem to be a few to choose from so not sure which one I should be getting - any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted on 19/07/2019 21:25

I have to ask- that must have been some bump in the road?? Had you got the JW raised to the max? Just a thought- if it was a bump in the road which caused the damage you have a claim against the council involved for allowing their roads to get to such a shocking state. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook