Motor movers and wheel locks

richardandros replied on 22/06/2020 10:27

Posted on 22/06/2020 10:27

The only time the AWD motor mover becomes an issue as far as wheel locks are concerned is with regard to the jacking points.  Otherwise, any could be used and I would favour Alko if your chassis has the receivers for them.

Since you can't normally get at the jacking points with an AWD MM fitted, you then enter the debate of the best method of raising the van to fit the second lock.  Or, alternatively, you use some other device rather than Alko.

I have used Lock 'n Level for years and have been pleased with it and have only just replaced it with the E&P hydraulic levelling system which makes the fitting of locks so easy.

Bluemalaga replied on 22/06/2020 11:26

Posted on 22/06/2020 11:26

Although I have a single axle, I use an Alko where there is provision on the chasis and a Nemisis on the opposite side purely as a visual deterrent from both sides. It is also visible when an awning is used, when the Alko is not visible.

I have wondered why these two are not used in combination or two Nemisis for twin axles to avoid the need to jack up the van to fit the second lock. A pair of Nemisis can be used on either side of the van so could be visible even when awning fitted.

lornalou1 replied on 22/06/2020 11:36

Posted on 22/06/2020 11:36

I fit the Alko lock on the front wheel and then fit the Nemisis to the rear as no need to line up. If an awning is fitted and you were out then surely this is perfect for the thief as they will not be seen removing the locks. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook