Motor mover disengaged whilst using, damaged van

proterra replied on 28/09/2020 19:27

Posted on 28/09/2020 19:27

I have Powertouch Evolution mover. Yesterday using it to put the van back on the drive it disengaged and the van ran backwards into raised garage door. Had cracked the back panel.

I had move the van from parallel to the kerb, turned it round and backed it up over the pavement. I was then going down the drive, a slight slope and was about 2 feet from where it wanted to be, t

There was a loud bang and the van ran backwards into the raised door. Pushing the door frame backwards a bit as well.

Been in touch with Powertouch but no reply as yet apart from asking for serial nos etc.

Been using a mover for years and never had that happen.

BrianJosie replied on 29/09/2020 10:39

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:39

wow that is something i havent heard happen before .Our drive is on a slight slope and we have a power touch mover so i will be aware in the future .Let us know what if any responce you get from powertouch.

Brian & Jo

ocsid replied on 29/09/2020 13:19

Posted on 29/09/2020 13:19

Was this a manually engaged or motorised engagement Powrtouch?

I have once had the manually applied one "bounce" back off the tyre, but before I had released the hand-brake.

Maybe in my case operator error, but now I ensure it really has gone as overcentre as it is possible to go.

EmilysDad replied on 29/09/2020 14:37

Posted on 29/09/2020 14:37

Movers are clamped to the edge of the chassis rail ... maybe this is where the problem is ie it's either the bolt has rotted or it's just come loose ... 🤷‍♂️

Amesford replied on 30/09/2020 09:48

Posted on 30/09/2020 09:48

We had the same happen to us with our manual mover but luckily no damage it was just the fact I had not pushed the the lever over enough to lock and the bang was just the mover springing back to the relaxed position 

proterra replied on 02/10/2020 10:17

Posted on 02/10/2020 10:17

It was a manual one. I’ve not heard back from Powertouch yet. Phoned yesterday but the chap I sent emails to wasn’t in, but said they would come back to me.

I’m taking the van to the dealers this morning for a quote, so will ask them to look at the mover, if they will.

Caravanguard have said the repairs are covered just the matter of the mover and do they claim from them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook