Mixing awning cassette and awning brands...or not?

TimAndChristine replied on 14/07/2020 12:23

Posted on 14/07/2020 12:23

I would like to pick the brains on more experienced Motorhomers please - we are new to it this year.  We have bought a Hymer T-SL which came with a Dometic awning cassette (manual) which works fine.

But - can we fit a Kampa Dometic fixed awning on to the same cassette?  Are the beading sizes common across brands?  It seems Dometic awnings are fewer in range (Camp Room for example) and dealers are like hen’s teeth in this Covid world whereas Kampa Dometic range is much bigger and appear more modern.  

As for awning depths......many are 3m deep.  Is that a problem on CAMC or European sites or should we stick to 2.5m deep awnings (like the KD Rally Air) to ensure “we fit”.

Clear yes/no answers best if that’s possible please.  Thanks in advance. 

KeefySher replied on 14/07/2020 15:04

Posted on 14/07/2020 15:04

The Dometic web site gives very little detail, so with assumption the cassette awning you have has a slot in the outer front face that takes a bead, then yes. If it has a channel on the top then the figure of eight clips onto that using a K/S strip as below.

however you may require an adapter called a Kador/Safari strip c/w a figure of eight to connect the K/S to the awning bead if the awning bead and cassette slot are different i.e. 6mm & 8mm.

although to make life easier if you intend to drive away you might as well use the K/S with fo8 anyway. Just make sure it's th right one i.e. Correct bead size for cassette and awning, not all are the same

a useful trick is to put a peg in the ground at the centre of each wheel on the awning side so you can line up easier, roll the cassette out a few inches, connect up then roll cassette back up.

yes you can mix cassette and awning brands.

Unfortunately not a yes/no answer as is the way in this camping lark, as you'll learn

TimAndChristine replied on 14/07/2020 15:46

Posted on 14/07/2020 15:46

Thank you so much for the reply.  Yes the rail has a slot at the bottom outer face to take a bead, Not sure if it is 6mm or 8mm but I can work that out. I like the suggestions to make fitting easier.  Thanks again.  Tim

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook