Lubing the Awning Rail.

j100bba replied on 30/08/2017 12:24

Posted on 30/08/2017 12:24

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if you have any tips on which type of silicon spray I need to buy to lube my awning rail so my awning slides a lot easier than it does now?

I am looking for something that is also cost effective rather than paying the crazy prices that some of the Caravan accessory shops are asking!

Kind Regards,

Paul.

Milothedog replied on 30/08/2017 13:03

Posted on 30/08/2017 13:03

A can from any motor factor for about £2 would do it I should imagine.

Also, having thought about it, what about some candle wax. if you got tea light and removed the foil, you could taper the edge with a knife and run it round the gap in the awning channel ? just an idea that is very cheapsmile

JohnM20 replied on 30/08/2017 14:58

Posted on 30/08/2017 14:58

Screwfix do a small spray can in their plumbing section. Very useful for lubricating the seals on the loo cassette as well.

peterpark replied on 30/08/2017 15:35

Posted on 30/08/2017 15:35

I have used Fabsil for years. Works perfectly. I have no idea about its cost effectiveness and could probably buy something a little cheaper but a can lasts for years and, after all, the object of the exercise is to make putting up an awning easier and Fabsil has always worked for me.

SteveL replied on 30/08/2017 15:39

Posted on 30/08/2017 15:39

We use the same Thetford silicon spray we bought for the toilet seal. It works a treat, also sorts out squeaky door hinges  and sticking windows. Does not stain if it gets on something, like oil based sprays. Have also used that cockpit shine  I use on the car dash. I think it has a fair bit of silicon in it and the carrier spray evaporates rapidly.

Simon100 replied on 30/08/2017 20:40

Posted on 30/08/2017 20:40

Have you Googled 'Silicone Spray' ?

Halfords and Screwfix are there amongst many other suppliers. I got mine from Halfords and it has made things easier. 

There is also Pledge furniture polish that contains silicone.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook