Lower Awning Rail

ScreenNameC43904DD4D replied on 22/06/2020 11:34

Posted on 22/06/2020 11:34

Hi Everyone,

can you offer me some advice please on the lower awning rail?

We have the bailey Valencia 2011 and I would like to remove the awning rail as in the picture.

After a service we have 97% damp around the door.  I have managed to dry out the area very well with a dehumidifier but I would like to find out where the water is getting in.

This caravan has been a complete nightmare, and as usual with Bailey, they are never interested and its always someone else's fault. This is the third area with excessive damp and one area has cost over £1,350 to get repaired.  This is why I would like to try and investigate this one myself.

There are lots of damp issues with this caravan as I have found out on YouTube, but we love this van and have always treated it with the upmost care. 

Any help or advice on how to remove the lower awning rail is what I need please?  There are NO screws in the rail itself as I have checked.  I can not locate anything under the van either.

Please help.

Many thanks
Cliff

SteveL replied on 22/06/2020 18:01

Posted on 22/06/2020 18:01

On our Bailey U2 Cadiz I thought the awning rail was part of the Alutech system that holds the van together. Bolted together on the inside.  If the case it won't be possible to remove it, as was possible when we damaged the one on our older Abbey.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 23/06/2020 08:25

Posted on 23/06/2020 08:25

The early alutec did have a recall/ remedial work done funded by Bailey on Leakey front grab handles and lower front seams. In 2013 I purchased a 2010 Pegasus 534 and on having it serviced, the mobile engineer informed me about it and would put in a claim to Bailey. A few weeks later he returned and carried out this work.
Removed the lower rails and sealed the floor to wall joints as well as treating the floor in the front side lockers and the gas locker.

From memory, the lower awning /side channel is secured by screws in the end caps and then just clipped on. 

Hope this is of some help.

ScreenNameC43904DD4D replied on 23/06/2020 09:02

Posted on 23/06/2020 09:02

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for the response.  They have said the floor is not covered nor is it made of Marine grade wood.  Its been a disaster on wheels  to be honest and Bailey are extremely unhelpful.

We have extremely unhelpful letters from them back at the time stating the floor is not covered under the warranty, only the Alutech shell.

The handles have not been effected, but water ingress has happened in front and two side bunkers. If you search our model on YouTube, there is an excellent video showing you how the water is getting in.  I followed this video to repair these three leaks. 

Also the shower cracked from top too bottom in the first 18 months.  Bailey are not interested. Once they have your money, your on your own.  Although we are not at the experience level some people are in here, we have been caravan for just over 20 years.

We love our van and take  extremely good care of it.  Its on our drive and is heated all winter. We have it serviced every year so the rotting floor is a complete misery for us us.

UPDATE:

I have found out how to remove the rail. The damp is much worse than we through.  We are still unable to find the cause of the leak though which is a worry.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

ScreenNameC43904DD4D replied on 23/06/2020 09:13

Posted on 23/06/2020 09:13

Me again

just to show you a couple more photos. I think the water is getting in under the rail I have taken off.

aa you can see, there is no sealant or anything to stop the water ingress. This has caused the wood to to become rotten around the wheel arch and under the door.

im going to let it dry out and then fill this with expanding foam. Then cover with fibreglass. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook