Lock and level

ShellConnie replied on 28/06/2019 10:58

Posted on 28/06/2019 10:58

Has anyone purchased a lock and level for a single axel caravan?  If anyone has can they help with my query please.  We have purchased one.  We have used a footpump to inflate.  It does, but does not show how much air is going in on the analogue dial.  It also does not register any PSI on a digital tyre pressure checker.  We have tried a 12v screw on digital tyre inflater set to 30 PSI but it would not inflate as it could not find the PSI.  We have also taken it to a garage inflater.  We set it again to 30 PSI.  It would not inflate.  The only way it would inflate was to press the flat tyre button.  Again it did not register any PSI on the machine.  We fully understand the simplicity of just inflating until you are level, but due to the above we can’t see how we would make sure we didn’t over inflate.  Lock and level say this is normal?!  

richardandros replied on 28/06/2019 14:48

Posted on 28/06/2019 14:48

I don't understand your statement "but it would not inflate as it could not find the PSI." , but I have been using L 'n L for five years and I use the 12v VW pump that came with my car and never had a problem. When fully inflated, it's showing about 20psi. In my opinion, it's the best bit of kit I have bought for the caravan and I wouldn't be without it.

ShellConnie replied on 28/06/2019 22:51

Posted on 28/06/2019 22:51

Thank you. But as you say yours shows 20 PSI,  No matter if we use a foot pump, 12 v or garage pump it does not register any PSI already inflated into the lock and level.

EmilysDad replied on 28/06/2019 22:58

Posted on 28/06/2019 22:58

regardless of any pressure showing on any gauge you're attaching .... is the lock & level inflating? ie is it getting firmer when you inflate it?

Merve replied on 29/06/2019 21:00

Posted on 29/06/2019 21:00

As MM says- is It inflating? I’ve never worried about the pressure , all I care about is the caravan going up with the inflation until it’s level. I agree with R&r- best bit of kit- wouldn’t be without it! 

S92Driver replied on 29/06/2019 22:24

Posted on 29/06/2019 22:24

May be I'm stating the obvious here but you have connected the pump to the correct valve? ie the input or inflation valve and not the deflation valve. Just a thought.

Lambdrover replied on 05/07/2019 15:35

Posted on 05/07/2019 15:35

It's possible that the valve core is faulty. Pop into your friendly tyre centre and get them to put a new core in and then test the pressure with their equipment. This will at least eliminate the valve core as a potential fault.

richardandros replied on 10/07/2019 06:29

Posted on 10/07/2019 06:29

"Lock and level say this is normal?!"

This is the bit I can't understand.  I have always dealt with Derek Ibbotson - one of the Directors and he has gone out of his way to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

I had a similar issue just after I got my L 'n L, five years ago which pointed to a faulty valve core.  I rang him and asked him to put one in the post - but he insisted on having it collected (at their expense) and returned so that they could check it.  It was back with me within a couple of days and it turned out that there was a bit of solder lodged in the valve, which they had sorted.

I have to say that it has been my experience that Delter Coulson do everything possible to ensure the customer is totally happy with the product and I am sure that if you go back to them, they will resolve this issue.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook