Lock and Level etc.

harry1000 replied on 19/09/2021 14:32

Posted on 19/09/2021 14:32

I am presently using the drive up a plastic wedge method of levelling and I am looking at alternative methods. One method is the LnL air bladder, which you sit the wheel on then pump up to what ever pressure is needed to attain side to side level, using a 12v electric tyre pump.

I wonder what sort of pressure is involved?

How well do the support the wheel, I would anticipate the result being quite bouncy, like being on a bouncy castle - are they?

I am also looking at the more mechanical ones, ones which slide under then hinge up using a sort of screw jack arrangement. How well do these work?

Are there any other methods I have not yet come across?

Cornersteady replied on 19/09/2021 14:44

Posted on 19/09/2021 14:44

We did use the mechanical leveller once, and still have one, and if you want perfect side to side levelling precision then it's the one to go for. It's fairly easy to use, just slide under the wheel then start winding away and a long ratchet spanner works best here. Once done it is very sturdy and no movement, it does go quite a bit higher than ramps and it probably adds to security as it would have to be taken off be before your caravan could be moved.

The downside is that it is heavy to transport and does take some time and a little effort, Ok if you're staying a longish time but not for a short weekend or one night I would say

We now use a ramp but with a motor mover so no driving involved, just let the mover do all the work, much quicker just move the caravan up to the desired point then chock and handbrake. I find that someone has to hold the ramp in place or the mover/caravan will twist it while going up.

Hope this helps

GTrimmer replied on 19/09/2021 14:58

Posted on 19/09/2021 14:58

We recetly purchaseda 'Lock'nLevel' for our single axle Swift Challenger having used ramps before. . We have had one occasion to use it so far and must say that we are delighted with its performance!  It took little time to set up - just drive the van on to the deflated bag ,connect the electric air pump (not supplied ) and start to inflate. Someone needs to 'watch the bubble' if the side needing to be raised is opposite to the door as it was in our case.

15 or so psi was all that was required to level our van from side to side, The manufacturers warn not to exceed 30psi . I can't see why that would ever be necessary.  Packing away is simple with a valve for deflation provided seperately from the inflator.  There are c aouple of videos on YouTube which make all clear.

I would definitely reccomend this product unreservedly . ( No connections)

replied on 19/09/2021 15:20

Posted on 19/09/2021 15:20

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook