Lightweight Fridge

Muso101 replied on 23/07/2021 17:38

Posted on 23/07/2021 17:38

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a portable lightweight fridge to use in my caravan.  Besides the internal fridge,I also have a portable cooler.  I am a bit elderly so wouldn't want anything too heavy,so was wondering if there is anyone who could recommend something appropriate,would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Cedric

cool

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2021 17:46

Posted on 23/07/2021 17:46

Muso, I suggest you edit out your email address pronto. You have just published it to the world. However, the edit window has probably already passed.

Maybe a mod will help?

Anyone with a suggestion for you will post it here.

eribaMotters replied on 23/07/2021 19:51

Posted on 23/07/2021 19:51

We have used a LEC table top fridge and matching LEC table top freezer for many years. You need an ST rating. These give a welcome extra X-Mas capacity at home Empty they are no problem to lift in and out of the car boot, full it is best with two people. I always put a strap around them to keep the door closed.

The freezer will hold a low temp for extended periods. From -21 drop to -9/12 after 20 hours of no power in the boot of the car.

Another option, and the one we are now going to use as frozen meat etc cannot be taken into Europe is a 12v/240v hybrid. On mains these will run at your choice between +10 and -15c irrespective of outside temp. On 12v when in the car they run at 20 below ambient temp. For us touring Europe in the summer we will have a very cool fridge that we can take from site to site happy in that everything will stay very cold.

When off in the UK for a couple of weeks we can set out using it as a freezer. When we've eaten everything then we can operate as a fridge.

We have not bothered with a 3 way fridge as we are always on hook up. These are available with a 30c drop over ambient.

Colin

DSB replied on 24/07/2021 04:39

Posted on 23/07/2021 17:46 by Tinwheeler

Muso, I suggest you edit out your email address pronto. You have just published it to the world. However, the edit window has probably already passed.

Maybe a mod will help?

Anyone with a suggestion for you will post it here.

Posted on 24/07/2021 04:39

Thanks TW.  I have edited and contacted Musio101 seperately.

David

DSB replied on 24/07/2021 12:52

Posted on 24/07/2021 12:52

For years, we used to take an 'awning fridge' with us..... especially when travelling to France and Italy.  Now there is just the two of us, and the caravan fridge is much larger, we don't bother.  (I use it in my study st home as a drinks fridge).  However, it's not a light fridge  and have not managed to find a light one that successfully kept stuff cool.

David

Outdoor Lady replied on 24/07/2021 17:45

Posted on 24/07/2021 17:45

Hi

We use a Dometic fridge in the garage in our Motorhome, it runs off gas or electric (needs ventilation if using gas) and if turned up high will freeze the food at the bottom. It's compact and perfect for what we want. We use it to top up our fridge inside as it is a bit small. 

Muso101 replied on 03/09/2021 16:37

Posted on 03/09/2021 16:37

Thank you for all your replies,I am now suited,thanks to your advice.

Settled for a Lec table top,excellent!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook