Leisure battery changing

MIKWOO replied on 22/01/2019 13:27

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:27

Hi folks. I am looking for some advice regarding a battery charger. I have a bulk standard 6amp charger in the garage. My local agent tells me this is not suitable for charging a leisure battery. Having searched on line I thought I had found a good deal for a smart battery charger at my local Europarts depot. The very helpful fellow behind the counter advised me that what I already have is suitable for my needs. Does anyone out there know enough to advise me what I actually need. F.y.i. battery became flat over new year due to a faulty water pump connection. This has now been addressed. Cheers.

Milothedog replied on 22/01/2019 15:08

Posted on 22/01/2019 13:27 by MIKWOO

Hi folks. I am looking for some advice regarding a battery charger. I have a bulk standard 6amp charger in the garage. My local agent tells me this is not suitable for charging a leisure battery. Having searched on line I thought I had found a good deal for a smart battery charger at my local Europarts depot. The very helpful fellow behind the counter advised me that what I already have is suitable for my needs. Does anyone out there know enough to advise me what I actually need. F.y.i. battery became flat over new year due to a faulty water pump connection. This has now been addressed. Cheers.

Posted on 22/01/2019 15:08

Any modern conditioning / maintenance charger will do the job.  Just make sure it's designed to work with what type of battery you have, (i.e. AGM, Lead Acid etc) and suited to the batteries AH. 

Google  ctek  or optimate, both are good makes. Cheaper ones are available but you get what you pay for like everything in life.

viatorem replied on 22/01/2019 16:45

Posted on 22/01/2019 16:45

The different advice regarding the agent and the europarts depot could arise from where you intend to charge the battery.

On a workbench in a well ventilated area any suitable charger would do. Within the confines of a leisure vehicle battery box the charger should be limited to reduce gassing as there is an explosive risk.

replied on 22/01/2019 17:26

Posted on 22/01/2019 17:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

viatorem replied on 23/01/2019 08:29

Posted on 23/01/2019 08:29

I have the ctek charger mentioned above which is great for conditioning and maintenance of batteries on the bench.

I also have one of these which does a similar job but is much more versatile being able to boost charge your starter batteries wth 60A. It has never failed to start my car or numerous neighbours when needed. 

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/en-gb/products/car-care/battery-chargers-new/20a-battery-charger-with-engine-start/bdsbc20a

Both of these should be used with the battery in a ventilated area.

lester1971 replied on 18/02/2019 19:29

Posted on 22/01/2019 17:26 by

A modern intelligent (smart) charger will not only charge your battery but will also condition and maintain it, possibly even recover a badly discharged unit as well.  Have a look at the ctek MXS 5.0 as a good contender:

ctek mxs-5-0

Posted on 18/02/2019 19:29

ive just bought the ctek mxs-5.0 and its brilliant for trickle charging , desulphation and reconditioning your leisure battery, its does all types of batteries from wet, amg to gel ones at about £65 for charger its decent for the price 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook