kWh monitor

Tarmyn replied on 23/04/2023 09:14

Posted on 23/04/2023 09:14

Hi has anyone fitted a KWH /Volts/amps monitor to there caravan or motor home ?There is various available where you simply clamp around the incoming live conductor,some even with app on your mobile  just thought it would be useful to see how much electric used whilst on site .

KjellNN replied on 23/04/2023 10:52

Posted on 23/04/2023 10:52

Yes, we have one, ours is a wired in one rather than a clamp one.

We found it useful when abroad as quite a few sites in Germany, Denmark and Austria do meter electricity, and the kWh price is high.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2023 11:25

Posted on 23/04/2023 11:25

Am I missing something here? Why monitor the amount of lekky used when you’re on a metered pitch? Surely a glance at the meter is all that’s needed🤷🏻‍♂️

Tarmyn replied on 23/04/2023 13:11

Posted on 23/04/2023 11:25 by Tinwheeler

Am I missing something here? Why monitor the amount of lekky used when you’re on a metered pitch? Surely a glance at the meter is all that’s needed🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 23/04/2023 13:11

Not all sites have the meter in a location where you can view the consumption/ amount used .

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2023 13:25

Posted on 23/04/2023 13:11 by Tarmyn

Not all sites have the meter in a location where you can view the consumption/ amount used .

Posted on 23/04/2023 13:25

Thanks for the response👍🏻

PeteCI replied on 23/04/2023 15:53

Posted on 23/04/2023 15:53

I use one that was originally supplied by my electricity supplier before communicating smart meters became available.

I find it very useful to see my instantaneous consumption to avoid tripping the site supply.

It's particularly useful where the supply is limited to 10 or even 6 Amps and the connection point was locked by the guardian. I can easily see how much capacity remains before switching on the kettle or toaster.

eribaMotters replied on 23/04/2023 22:46

Posted on 23/04/2023 22:46

I must admit to using basic maths and a bit of common sense. Our favourite Loire site has 6 amp supply that needs resetting by the site staff if tripped, something I've avoided in 8 years.

I just make sure we only have have one "heavy" electrical appliance on at any one time, be it 500 watt water heater, 470 watt Remoska, 500 watt space heater or Induction hob on one of it's lower settings. In theory I could run two at once, but if I aim for one and I've accidently left another on I'm safe.

Colin

KjellNN replied on 24/04/2023 01:02

Posted on 24/04/2023 01:02

The point of fitting a meter is more to not get a nasty shock at the end of a stay on a metered site.

On sites in Germany, for example, the hook up box is often unlocked to allow you to plug in, then locked again, so you cannot keep an eye on usage.  Or the site may have remote monitoring with no meters at the hook up points.

The kWh charge can be as much as 85 euro cents, no limit there on what can be charged!

To prevent tripping, like Colin, we have a good idea of what we are using, but also have an Alde load monitor fitted, which is very useful.   This  cuts the power to the Alde system if other appliances are using too much, but of course, if you put on a load of other appliances at the same time and exceed the available amps, you will still trip the breaker.

richardandros replied on 24/04/2023 07:12

Posted on 24/04/2023 07:12

I fitted one in our van - cost was about £10 or so from Amazon and it's quite easy to fit.  The big advantage for us is that you can set an alarm - with sound and a flashing screen if you exceed a set level of current draw because although we're careful most of the time, it's very easy to switch something on, having forgotten about something else that's consuming lots of wiggly amps! So far, it's always given us sufficient time to switch something off before the bollard breaker trips. 

Not an essential item by any means but definitely falls into the 'nice to have' category.

EmilysDad replied on 24/04/2023 08:58

Posted on 24/04/2023 07:12 by richardandros

I fitted one in our van - cost was about £10 or so from Amazon and it's quite easy to fit.  The big advantage for us is that you can set an alarm - with sound and a flashing screen if you exceed a set level of current draw because although we're careful most of the time, it's very easy to switch something on, having forgotten about something else that's consuming lots of wiggly amps! So far, it's always given us sufficient time to switch something off before the bollard breaker trips. 

Not an essential item by any means but definitely falls into the 'nice to have' category.

Posted on 24/04/2023 08:58

.... wiggly amps!

It's been a while since I've heard that 🤣

Tarmyn replied on 24/04/2023 09:37

Posted on 24/04/2023 09:37

Thanks for your reply’s,I see there’s some on Amazon where you put a clamp around the incoming live supply for about £20 be certainly nice to have .

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook