Kampa Sunshine Pro Air

Tirril replied on 18/03/2021 23:21

Posted on 18/03/2021 23:21

I have a Kampa air awning which I like but I'm considering buying a Kampa Sunshine Pro Air Canopy for shorter breaks. I appreciate there are cheaper alternatives but favour air poles rather than the usual steel poles which can cause damage if there is a sudden gust of wind. My Hymer caravan has a fairly low awning rail and although the full awning has plenty of clearance for the door opening due to its shaped roof the canopy style might be lower especially on downward sloping pitches as there is no possibility of raising the air 'legs' like you can with steel poles. I would appreciate views of anyone who has used an air canopy, particularly this model

allanandjean replied on 19/03/2021 06:44

Posted on 19/03/2021 06:44

Hi, looked at this canopy last year but have decided that  for what I want, something for short breaks of a couple of days, I will likely get a Sunncamp Swift canopy.

One factor was that when we had a Fiamma roll out canopy we always found that the shelter it gave was minimal when windy so wanted a canopy with sides.

The standard, steel poles, is around £130 and the air version about £100 more.

Chatting to friends while on a rally last year one suggested, as this is something likely to be used very infrequently, looking at Facebook Marketplace, and I was surprised to find some bargains, but as is the way, also some that were more than I could buy for brand new.

My wife's comment on hearing the discussion was "what, another awning!"

Tirril replied on 19/03/2021 08:21

Posted on 19/03/2021 08:21

Colin, caravan is a Hymer Nova GL 590. The awning rail is lower than the roof top and 4inches (100mm) above the door top. As mentioned in my opening post it takes the Kampa air awning ok without fouling the door but the roof of the awning does have a raised profile. The Kampa Sunshine air canopy has a raised archway at the front which may help maintain enough height.

Tirril replied on 19/03/2021 08:25

Posted on 19/03/2021 08:25

A & J, I understand Jean's view as erecting awnings is a test of a good marriage. The canopy would be used for just short 2  or 3 day trips to keep the dog dry or in shade when eating.

allanandjean replied on 19/03/2021 08:57

Posted on 19/03/2021 08:25 by Tirril

A & J, I understand Jean's view as erecting awnings is a test of a good marriage. The canopy would be used for just short 2  or 3 day trips to keep the dog dry or in shade when eating.

Posted on 19/03/2021 08:57

Yes, there have been elements of the 'divorce in a bag'scenario over the years!

Similar to you ours would be used for those trips which at the moment we would not bother taking an awning for.

eribaMotters replied on 19/03/2021 09:57

Posted on 19/03/2021 09:57

My awning rail is only 30mm above the top of my door so understand where you are coming from.

I also use a Kampa Pop-Air full awning but for short breaks do not use it. I think the Pro Air Canopy is a bit of overkill for something that should be lightweight, simple, cheapish and easy to put up. For these reasons we use an Isabella Shadow or sunny times and a Sunncamp Swift for if the weather is poor. The later keeps the majority of weather off the side of the van. A "new" 3.0m Shadow came up on Gumtree a few days ago at the bargain price of £100. Carriage on this would be about £10.

Each only weigh 4 to 5 kg and live in the van.

I have found both our Isabella and Sunncamp are good in wind. The later put up with a severe storm early 2019 on an exposed Devon hillside when others had to take awnings down. As it has a 150mm gap between the bottom of it and the floor the wind tends to blow through.

Both should give you the clearance you require to open the door. With my vastly reduced distance above the door mine sometimes just touch.

Colin

allanandjean replied on 19/03/2021 10:47

Posted on 19/03/2021 10:47

"But Colin says that a Isabella Sun Shine, Isabella Magnum and a Sunncamp Swift are NOT enough-we need an Isabella Shadow as well".

On paper the Shadow looked  as if it might work, I can use on the van on its own and attach to the Magnum as a sun shade, but its small size means that in anything other than flat calm its not a lot of use to provide shelter, shade maybe but even then we found the shadow cast was often way outside the footprint.

Your picture is good as often the pics are at an angle or not actually taken when on a van and the depth should provide shelter, unless the wind direction is head on at the opening.

eribaMotters replied on 19/03/2021 11:30

Posted on 19/03/2021 11:30

I am fortunate in that our van is small and I can generally site it as I want, even heaven forbid on a C&MC site, as I can follow fire gap spacings etc. Several Eriba owners have in the past been in consultation with the Club regarding the nose-in, nose out, cross pitching scenarios and they are permissible, despite what some site wardens have said. This may seem a bit antisocial but it is for a reason.

Ideally I pitch East to West to either follow the sun or shade from it. If I now it's going to be windy the opposite side to the door always goes against the wind.

Colin

allanandjean replied on 20/03/2021 16:11

Posted on 19/03/2021 11:30 by eribaMotters

I am fortunate in that our van is small and I can generally site it as I want, even heaven forbid on a C&MC site, as I can follow fire gap spacings etc. Several Eriba owners have in the past been in consultation with the Club regarding the nose-in, nose out, cross pitching scenarios and they are permissible, despite what some site wardens have said. This may seem a bit antisocial but it is for a reason.

Ideally I pitch East to West to either follow the sun or shade from it. If I now it's going to be windy the opposite side to the door always goes against the wind.

Colin

Posted on 20/03/2021 16:11

Re pitching direction we have lots of photos taken on club sites, a few years back, and in all we are across the pitch.

This is how we always pitch if possible and we do it for the simple reason that we feel it is more sociable.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook