Kampa Sabre Awning Lighting

Mr H replied on 20/04/2018 09:02

Posted on 20/04/2018 09:02

We are thinking of improving the use of our awning by introducing LED lighting. At the exhibition we saw the Kampa system. However, the display was in a well lit area so impossible to see how it would be in the dark. How many Leds would you need to provide adequate lighting for us both to read? Will the lights cause glare? Can anyone throw some "light' on the subject.

MrsK29 replied on 20/04/2018 13:05

Posted on 20/04/2018 13:05

Hi Mr H.

We've got a Kampa Air 260 awning, and purchased the start up kit of the sabre lighting last year. Its a brilliant bit of kit in my opinion. The remote that comes with it allows you to dim the light....at its brightest it is very bright, and more than suitable for reading. Obviously it would depend on the size of your awning I guess, as to whether you would need one of the add-on kits. 

Mr H replied on 20/04/2018 13:21

Posted on 20/04/2018 13:21

Hi MrsK29

We have the same awning as you. What size starter kit did you buy as there are three sizes 30,48 and 150? Thank you for your response.

Brian

sirtom01 replied on 20/04/2018 13:49

Posted on 20/04/2018 13:49

We have one 150 sabre for our Rally air 390 and find it plenty adequate. As MrsK29 says you can vary the amount of light with the remote to suit your needs.

Rayrowe35 replied on 25/04/2018 21:01

Posted on 20/04/2018 13:05 by MrsK29

Hi Mr H.

We've got a Kampa Air 260 awning, and purchased the start up kit of the sabre lighting last year. Its a brilliant bit of kit in my opinion. The remote that comes with it allows you to dim the light....at its brightest it is very bright, and more than suitable for reading. Obviously it would depend on the size of your awning I guess, as to whether you would need one of the add-on kits. 

Posted on 25/04/2018 21:01

I use a start up kit in my conservatory at home. Performance is excellent and it was very easy to fit.

Ray

Mr H replied on 20/05/2018 22:44

Posted on 20/05/2018 22:44

This may make me look as being a bit stupid, but here goes,so others don't make the same mistake as I did. Having a Kampa 260 air awning I wondered what tube(s) to buy. I contacted Kampa direct and someone there said I would need a 48 and 150 with one of them being a starter pack. So I bought a 48 starter pack and a 150 add-on.I did not query this as I assumed the numerical description was the length in mm. After all when you buy a standard fluorescent tube its overall length is what you buy.

However, when I received the tubes they were two different designs one being a round tube (150) and the other rectangular. But the main issue was with their lengths as they are both considerably shorter than expected and so would not fit the positions of the velcro strips on the awning. It was easily apparent that one 150 tube or two 150's was the way to go. 

Lastly the brightness. The Kampa Youtube video shows 4 150's which would be excessively bright unless dimmed. I truly believe trying just one 150 on full first and then adding if thought needed.

Hope the above might be useful.

jennyc replied on 22/05/2018 08:37

Posted on 22/05/2018 08:37

We use various size awnings, according to the season and our needs. A small awning in winter with its early sunset may need a comfortably bright light, while a bigger awning in summer might require less. However, we use a rigid LED light, about a meter long, normally attached above the front window, and we’re very happy with it. It’s round, like a pipe, so can be rotated to adjust brightness and glare, and light enough to hang from curtain ties when in our Kampa Air.

But I’m tempted by the thought of a remote control, as mentioned above, so we’ll look into that.

In answer to the OP’s question though. A meter long tubular shape will do the job.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook