Is propane gas essential for winter caravanning?

Jood replied on 29/10/2016 20:42

Posted on 29/10/2016 20:42

We're going away in our Caravan for Christmas this year..first time ever due to family circumstances and feel very excited about experiencing a different type of Christmas. However, other half and I are unsure whether we should change our blue butane gas to the red propane one. Other half seems to think butane will be ok if we insulate it well. I don't want to prepare a full Christmas dinner only for the gas to give up! I would really appreciate the views of you experienced winter Caravanners. Thank you. 

nelliethehooker replied on 29/10/2016 20:55

Posted on 29/10/2016 20:55

I'd definitely change over to propane (red bottle). It's better to be safe than sorry, should the temperature fall to freezing or below.

ChrisRogers replied on 29/10/2016 21:02

Posted on 29/10/2016 21:02

Just change to Propane and use it all year round, you will need a propane pigtail to connect to your bulkhead regulator.

Jood replied on 29/10/2016 21:32

Posted on 29/10/2016 21:32

Thanks folks..I'll have to convince him. It would actually be nice to have a cold, frosty and bright Christmas. Better than mild, grey and damp. 

Boff replied on 29/10/2016 21:58

Posted on 29/10/2016 21:58

Change it!

You might be lucky and have a warm Christmas and no problems on the other hand it it's cold any you are trying to use a lot of gas then you will struggl  

Insulating the bottle could make matters worse as changing from liquid to gas takes energy and will cool the bottle anyway. We often have a layer of frost on the bottle in the winter. Propane turns to gas at much lower temperatur. 

Nuggy replied on 29/10/2016 22:00

Posted on 29/10/2016 22:00

The temp doesn't even need to drop to freezing, I think Butane stops evaporating at approx plus 4 degrees C, The temp can get that low even in autumn or spring, never mind winter. I spent a very cold Easter with Butane that was insulated but kept stopping working. Never again, propane all the time and no problems.

MeatHome replied on 30/10/2016 11:48

Posted on 30/10/2016 11:48

Some of the "oldies" may recall the days when only butane (blue bottle) was available and was secured in the open on the A frame.

On a cold morning it was sometimes necessary to take a bucket to the toilet block, fill it with hot water and then trickle it over the gas bottle to warm it up.

EmilysDad replied on 30/10/2016 14:21

Posted on 30/10/2016 14:21

Contrary to the above I'd say you'll be fine with blue butane.... we used it for years in all weathers with no problems. The only reason we're now on red propane is cos the new caravan was set up with a propane regulator

Bob2112 replied on 30/10/2016 14:37

Posted on 30/10/2016 14:37

We have used butane in all seasons for forty years. Only once , at Castleton one Easter, has it been necessary to bring the bottle indoors and get Mrs B to cuddle it for a couple of minutes

markflip replied on 30/10/2016 15:16

Posted on 30/10/2016 15:16

As Boff said above I would advise against insuating the bottle as in use it will rapidly become the coldest thing in the locker whatever temperature it starts out at and will 'want' to absorb heat from the atmosphere.  For me it depends on how full the existing bottle is, if it's nearly empty it will be more prone to problems at lower temperatures and less of a waste to swap over, so i would do so.  I'd certainly be tempted to wait until a few days before you go and look at the forecast, unless it's going to be below 4 degrees all day, a fairly full Butane bottle should be fine.  As mentioned by MeatHome, the safe way to warm the bottle if the temperature does cause the pressure to drop is with hot water, best achieved by wrapping and old tea towel round the bottle and trickling the water onto it - obviously make sure the bottle's over a drain hole if you have to leave it in the locker and make sure everything else isn't going to get wet (or at least nothing that will be harmed).

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook