Is my Truma Solar Battery Charger overcharging?

ClubMemberD41A2DB66C replied on 19/03/2019 15:46

Posted on 19/03/2019 15:46

My latest Coachman VIP 2019 has a Truma Solar Dual Battery Charger 100w system fitted.

The Coachman display panel only indicates the leisure battery overall voltage not charge, or so I believe?

It's feeding a 120w sealed wet battery and it is in store. My concern is safety and fire risk?

One the first month of ownership I have noticed the leisure battery voltage grow from 13.4 volt to as of today (Overcast) 15 volts, which I have never seen before on any of my caravans or campers?

The the tempriture probe has not been fitted but the battery dose not feel warm.

The Coachman gauge is showing 15 volt with the warning of overcharge and contact your dealer it it continues? Which i am trying to do with little success to date. The voltage range is in the manual shown as 8 - 15 V but the charging for a wet battery is shown as Absorbtion range 14.6 V Float 13.8 and Equalisation 14.8 V with a Maximum charging voltage of 16.6 V

Should I be concerned this will either damage the battery and or cause a fire risk from overcharging?

Thanks Peter

ocsid replied on 20/03/2019 07:18

Posted on 20/03/2019 07:18

If not done already I would check the precision of the quoted voltage readings with a decent multimeter, just to be confident they are real as here the small magnitude difference make accuracy important.

Just thinking aloud how I might approach this myself, you obviously are aware of what you ought to be seeing:

If the equalisation level persists along with a current longer than about two hours, happening periodically say monthly, then it is not good news, it is too high long term.

However, after being driven up there by a current, when that current is removed, it might possibly linger as a surface charge, so before worrying just put a few lights on for 5 minutes, then check if it returns to sensible levels after that load is removed.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook