Hook up cable struggles

2wheels1 replied on 31/03/2017 23:29

Posted on 31/03/2017 23:29

I don't seem to have enough hands when hooking up/ unhooking the van. The little flap on the plug ( hinged cover) always gets inthe the way. I need both hands to shove/ pull as there is so much resistance, but one has to hold the flap out of the way. Any tips how to make connecting easier? A lubricant? What? Can I remove the flap?

replied on 31/03/2017 23:42

Posted on 31/03/2017 23:42

I suggest silicon lubricant spray. Either that or an extra wheetabix  for breakfast  wink

Bakers2 replied on 01/04/2017 08:20

Posted on 01/04/2017 08:20

I agree it isn't always easy especially with the cover. However I wouldn't remove the cover as electricity and water don't mix. There has been a similar thread recently and silicone spray was suggested. Sorry I don't know it's title so can't point you at that one. Always connect to van first, do you travel with someone.? Ask them to hold it up whilst you attach. 

SteveL replied on 01/04/2017 08:37

Posted on 01/04/2017 08:37

I assume you lost your previous thread. Very easy to do on this website, with its non existent  search function.☹️. If you touch / click this link it will take you to your original thread. There are a few suggestions on it.

replied on 01/04/2017 08:42

Posted on 01/04/2017 08:42

I find it very hard to pick out posted links on this website Steve, Having set them up I underline and embolden them normally. 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/how-to-use-club-together/hook-up-cable-struggles/

Alan

ETA - ooops I usually set them up to open in a new window if not on this site forum. smile

markflip replied on 04/04/2017 14:16

Posted on 04/04/2017 14:16

I use GT85 PTFE spray on my hook up and 7 pin plugs and sockets - it is a bike lubricant really, but does a good job of cleaning and making plastic 'slippery'.  Aldi sometimes have it in at a very good price and a can lasts ages.  It's good on window seals, door and window hinges, locker/doorlocks and many other little household & caravan jobs.

tesco also sell it at £2:

HillClimb replied on 10/04/2017 05:21

Posted on 10/04/2017 05:21

You can try using something like this http://uk.farnell.com/dow-corning/2793695/compound-silicone-dc4-tube-100g/dp/537019 - it is both a lubricating grease and it aids electrical conductivity (and due to its viscosity it can also keep water out from getting in to electrical connections - other uses include smear some on your caravan and/or car battery terminals to prevent them oxidising and I use it on the for my under-water scuba diving camera - where the casing opens there is a rubber seal - so this grease helps keep the rubber from perishing and also helps prevent water ingress - also on the plugs on the cables - helps aid electrical connectivity and prevent the copper connections from salt-water damage. This grease would help make the 13 pin plug easier to separate

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook