HItch Cover is there actually a good one?

DrDerbyshire replied on 08/05/2019 08:44

Posted on 08/05/2019 08:44

Second one from me today! Having got our caravan (2006 Bailey Senator Vermont) out of storage at last (it''s been a long winter for us) we found the hitch cover had finally disintegrated. Looking for a replacement on well known online retail websites and all the reviews seem to be terrible! I am looking for a nice big one that will go over the jockey wheel and handbrake and electrics. Sturdy because our caravan lives outside all year and easy to put on and off because we normally use it a lot. Some of the reviews say 'x' item is flimsy, others that they fade in the sun, or are hard to put on, or are too small. Does anyone actually have a recommendation for something that actually works or is everything cheap rubbish made you know where these days?   

Tinwheeler replied on 08/05/2019 08:46

Posted on 08/05/2019 08:46

We always used a black bin bag. It did the job and was cheap and easily obtainable in numerous outlets. 👍🏻

Wildwood replied on 08/05/2019 10:26

Posted on 08/05/2019 10:26

Ours is from the dealer we bought the caravan off. It is good quality and seems fit for purpose. Dealer ones do tend to advertise but visiting the dealer means you can check the quality which you cannot do with those bought on the web.

peedee replied on 08/05/2019 10:48

Posted on 08/05/2019 10:48

Way back in the past when I did the Club's towing course which also included an element of maintenance the course was advise not to cover tow hitches to avoid trapping wet and damp under the covers. It was best to allow a free fow of air over the parts. In 13 years of caravan ownership I never covered mine and never had any porblems at all but I never neglected the maintenance of the vans I owned.

peedee

bandgirl replied on 08/05/2019 17:18

Posted on 08/05/2019 17:18

Having had two caravans, and two hitch covers that mysteriously disappeared when the vans were taken out of the storage compound for us by the site wardens, we gave up and haven’t bothered to replace them.  Can’t say we’ve had any problems with the hitches being open to the elements all year round.

Nuggy replied on 08/05/2019 21:58

Posted on 08/05/2019 21:58

A lot of covers are too short, from front to back. How good are you with a sewing machine? or do you have a friend who can knock one up, they are a very simple shape with only two pieces.

DSB replied on 18/05/2019 18:50

Posted on 18/05/2019 18:50

We have a really large one which was quite cheap.  The problem is that it has a drawstring and it's a devils only job to put it on.......  the wife does it, but I think she's getting fed up with it.  I could get rid of the draw string and replace it with another system, I guess, but I am unlikely to get around to it before we need a new one.  It might be worth googling Extra Large Caravan Hitch covers and see what comes up??

David

Cornersteady replied on 19/05/2019 08:50

Posted on 18/05/2019 18:50 by DSB

We have a really large one which was quite cheap.  The problem is that it has a drawstring and it's a devils only job to put it on.......  the wife does it, but I think she's getting fed up with it.  I could get rid of the draw string and replace it with another system, I guess, but I am unlikely to get around to it before we need a new one.  It might be worth googling Extra Large Caravan Hitch covers and see what comes up??

David

Posted on 19/05/2019 08:50

yes the ones with the string are useless, the string ends up wet, knotted and difficult to undo. We have one with a snap on buckle and adjustable strap, easier and quicker

DreamyD replied on 20/05/2019 18:27

Posted on 20/05/2019 18:27

Having had a couple of the cheaper ones disintergrate, I bought one from Bags for Everything - tow hitch cover extra large. Including postage it cost about £23, but so far seems to be lasting well. Held on with three adjustable clipped straps and various colours are available. Cheers Dd.

eurortraveller replied on 20/05/2019 22:13

Posted on 08/05/2019 08:46 by Tinwheeler

We always used a black bin bag. It did the job and was cheap and easily obtainable in numerous outlets. 👍🏻

Posted on 20/05/2019 22:13

Frugality here in Cornwall too. I use a Levington garden compost bag - but turned inside out. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook