Groundsheets for Use Outdoors

Caerhowel replied on 30/07/2017 14:35

Posted on 30/07/2017 14:35

Caravanning abroad, we never bother with an awning - wish there was an automatic Fiamma style shade like camper vans have as that would be great, but there we are! But we notice lots of caravaners in France use groundsheets to keep the area around the van clean and suitable for bare feet.  What is the best make of breathable sheet to use?  Any advice? Don't want too much weight and prefer something not too plasticky if possible.

Bakers2 replied on 30/07/2017 15:13

Posted on 30/07/2017 15:13

I may be wrong 😉 but I believe there is something similar to the wind-out canopy/sunshade for caravans from comments I've read on here. Whatever theyre referred to as totally escapes me at the moment!  ?caravan store?.

We have a groundsheet that is similar to that non slip matting. It's not used often but is effective.

Merve replied on 30/07/2017 15:14

Posted on 30/07/2017 15:14

The best? Not quite sure but the breathable groundsheet on the roll at caravan accessory shops will do the job. I tend where I can to use non breathable- I know- not good for the grass but with a groundsheet followed by interlocking foam tiles makes a wonderfully warm comfortable floor. 

ocsid replied on 30/07/2017 15:32

Posted on 30/07/2017 15:32

I use the same type material ground sheet outdoors, under the canopy or in the awning, just in different sizes. Very good product.

It is I believe a hessian, like a string net weave, all impregnated with a latex or synthetic rubbery compound. This leaves about 3/16" mesh holes for breathing, and for grass blades to grow up through after a week or more on site, but does not do any lasting damage to the pitch.

The newest I purchased in 2002 the older probably 5 or more years earlier, so they are very durable but I have no idea if any longer sold. They came off a big roll, 2.5 metres wide and you purchase by the running metre etc. I put snap in plastic eyelets around the edge to keep it down taut, these do age with UV etc but can be changed.

I use Isabella Shadows as a very easily erected and taken down sun/rain and sitting area canopy; these also I can highly recommend if wanting a simple light canopy that does not compromise using the awning rail for porch etc.

Caerhowel replied on 30/07/2017 19:37

Posted on 30/07/2017 19:37

Thanks all. We used the Fiamma caravanstore on our last van, but it was a pain to put up and covered the outdoor light. Something with a windout mechanism and easy drop down poles is what I'm waiting for!

I'll go have a look at the stuff on the roll at our caravan suppliers. Hadn't realised it comes like that.

Thanks again.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook