Gas pipe length restriction

Corona replied on 01/05/2017 21:52

Posted on 01/05/2017 21:52

I have an external gas connection on my Elldis which I use for a BBQ. outside which I have fitted with 7 Meters of gas hose, to reach clear of the awning. I Purchased a small 2 burner stove to use outside (keep the smell of cooking onions outside) The instructions state to be used with max 1.5 Meters of hose. The retailer tells me I may experience a reduction in pressure if longer. There is no problem with the BBQ and I wouldn't want to use any gas appliance so close to the van.

Has anyone any thoughts or experiences here.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/05/2017 22:30

Posted on 01/05/2017 22:30

You will very likely lose pressure but the main reason for the restriction on the length of hose is safety.

At 7m long your hose represents a considerable trip hazard.

The other consideration is that you should be within easy reach of the shut off valve in order to reach it quickly in the event of a burn back in the pipe. At 1.5m distance you can reach it quickly. At a distance of 7m you could be looking at a fatality.

If the worst happened and you were using an overly long hose what do you think your insurance company would say?

You wouldn't want to use a gas appliance only 1.5m from the van so I assume you never use any of the gas appliances fitted inside the van.

https://www.calor.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/PDF/using_gas_safely_in_caravans.pdf

Roy284 replied on 03/07/2017 13:16

Posted on 03/07/2017 13:16

There have been some confusing replies on this subject.

I was denied buying any more than about 1.5-2.0mtrs of gas hose and the reason given was “anymore is not allowed”. This can only be based on some perceived safety issue most of which this day and age are OTT as we see all too often. On a more technical basis, there will be a reduction in pressure/flow as hose length increases, all due to frictional losses. It is also dependent upon the materials as these impact on friction, I won’t go into details!. Too much pressure drop above 1.5M of hose in my opinion is rubbish, think of the length of piping in your van which far exceeds that length. Clearly there needs to be some reasonable distance, as too much reduction in pressure/flow could result in poor combustion at the business end, no different to a gas boiler in your house. The gas passes through a nozzle/jet to combine with air in the correct proportions to achieve proper combustion. So a hose a mile long will upset that. Thing is be sensible, a trailing hose can be a trip hazard of course. I use about 4/5mtrs on my bbq point with no problem at all. If still in doubt/worried, borrow a manometer and check pressure!

MDD10 replied on 03/07/2017 18:21

Posted on 03/07/2017 18:21

I replaced my Cadac hose with a longer one to prevent the awning going up in flames as given the gas point location it still,didn't enable me to have the BBQ far enough away when using a full awning.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/07/2017 21:19

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:19

"There have been some confusing replies on this subject."

I'm not confused at all. Why would anyone be?

briantimber replied on 03/07/2017 21:33

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:33

Corona, forget the external gas connection, stay safe, use a max1.5m hose and a portable gas bottle, you can then safely put your barby anywhere you like, without fear of creating a trip hazard, as well as observing the safety points brought up by Tinwheeler....... Win Win...cool

briantimber replied on 03/07/2017 21:36

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:36

Gawd, this website is sooooo slooooow,surprised nearly pressed the reply button again, but held my nerveyell

SteveL replied on 03/07/2017 21:54

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:54

We use about 5 metres. To me the main risk is the trip hazard, which can be minimised by placing obstructions to prevent this. The risk of any burn back has to be minimal. Unless you run out, the flexible tube is full of gas, so this will not flash back. If the tube fractured and the gas caught fire, it will burn at the end of the tube, giving ample time to turn it off. I can vouch for this, as I was once distracted when connecting the BBQ and did not nip up the connector. As a result it started burning at the joint. I rapidly disconnected at the van and it extinguished.

If there was a problem on the input side of the gas rings in the van, I would have to open a cupboard at floor level and flip the isolation valve. I'm fairly sure I got to the one on the outside of the van a lot quicker.

Forest Gate replied on 29/06/2020 17:00

Posted on 03/07/2017 21:36 by briantimber

Gawd, this website is sooooo slooooow,surprised nearly pressed the reply button again, but held my nerveyell

Posted on 29/06/2020 17:00

Agree with you about the speed of the website. It’s unbelievably slow! Glad it’s not just me!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook