Garmin 780 SatNav

MJD47 replied on 02/11/2021 10:38

Posted on 02/11/2021 10:38

I wanted to share an experience that I've had with a recently purchased Garmin Camper780 SatNav.

I have to quickly add that this is not the Caravan Club Specific Unit.

However the problem I've encountered may be relevant.

I initially found the SatNav to be everything the hype said it was. I was replacing a much used but dated competitor's SatNav in my Motorhome and this time I wanted one that I could install it's dimensions.

I had decided also that I wanted to make the installation look more neat and to not have cables stretching across the front of the motorhome to a 12v Socket or USB Point. I arranged to have the SatNav professionally installed in the dash. The SatNav now looked like it was a standard fit and I was very pleased, no cables anywhere. The initial install and downloads were done (although the updates did take what seemed like an age), but eventually everything was set. Everything was updated the dimensions of my motorhome downloaded onto the unit all ready for having destinations put in and away we went and "yes" it did exactly what I had hoped, routed us to a regular site we use but this time didn't try and send us by way of a very narrow single track road.

So where's the problem, you may ask. Well I've now discovered that one of the functions on the Garmin780 can't be adjusted. That being the level of Brightness on the Display. It remains at the factory set 40% which can be dangerously distracting at times.

I contacted Garmin Support for advice and suggestions, only to receive a cryptic reply stating that ONLY the Mini USB Cable that they supply will operate all the functions on the Garmin780. (I may find other functions that cannot be adjusted)

When I had the unit installed it was connected to the existing standard Mini USB Power Cable that was in situ and as I've stated it allowed all the set up and downloads to happen, obviously unknown to me at the time, not all the functions were activated.

I went back to Garmin Support with a more detailed explanation stating that an Industry Standard Mini USB Cable had been used for the initial set-up and I found it incomprehensible that a Garmin Mini USB cable is the only power source that can used, and if that is their stance this should be made clear to any prospective purchasers of their SatNav. 

I'm still waiting for a response.

To summarise; If you're going to purchase this SatNav please be aware that Garmin state (or that is the problem, they don't state) you can only use the Mini USB Cable that they supply to power the SatNav.

I hope this information if useful.

Nick Waller replied on 16/11/2021 12:57

Posted on 16/11/2021 12:57

I recently found that my Garmin wasn't receiving traffic alerts and the display stated that the incorrect power lead was connected. It wasn't. I then found out that Garmin no longer support digital traffic alerts and I've had to purchace a new much chunkier lead with an aerial attached in order to receive FM traffic alerts

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook