Floe drain down kit.

dennisd replied on 05/11/2017 11:30

Posted on 05/11/2017 11:30

We caravan throughout the winter  and use a Floe drain down kit to empty the water system after each trip  just in case we have a freezing spell between uses. The thing is we've had problems with  our water system and I'm wondering if pressurising the system to the 1 bar required  to drain down could  have a detrimental effect on the water surge damper/pressure switch which  has had to be replaced?

Bazalab replied on 06/11/2017 18:34

Posted on 06/11/2017 18:34

I know this post has only just appeared but I hope other users will offer their input as the cost of frost damage in particular can be very expensive.

I am also considering buying this item, particularly as planning to swap vans shortly but firstly need to know which flow pump fitting I will need.   

Heethers replied on 07/11/2017 07:55

Posted on 07/11/2017 07:55

l have one but its no use now has l have changed the van to a Coachman which has a Truma connection. But the Coachman 460 VIP that l have has a solar panel l have set the Combi heating  to 7 degree's  to stop it freezing, check the voltage on the caravan and its keeping it at 12.4 not sure if that's a little low but will monitor to make sure it doesn't drop any further. If someone can tell me that it should be higher then l will connect to the house 240V when the forecast is for frost. When its connected to the 240v it usually reads 13.4v

tigerfish replied on 07/11/2017 09:49

Posted on 07/11/2017 09:49

Heethers I own a flo system for my Van but have actually never used it! I find that if I open my drain taps, remove the filter and open the 3 caravan outlets- Sink, basin in the bathroom, and shower, before I leave a site for the last time in a season, then by the time I have driven the rig to my storage, the system has well & truly drained down anyway.

But like you I take the extra caution of turning my heater setting down to come on at 7 degrees C.  I am lucky because where my van is stored I have access to Mains, so my system and battery is always live!  I find that keeping my battery on charge, and my heater primed, uses a negligible amount of electricity. I pay an extra £10 per year for the facility, and the site owner is very happy.  So in answer to your query If you keep the van at home I would hook up! It won't cost a bomb!

TF

replied on 07/11/2017 11:53

Posted on 07/11/2017 11:53

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

dennisd replied on 07/11/2017 12:31

Posted on 07/11/2017 09:49 by tigerfish

Heethers I own a flo system for my Van but have actually never used it! I find that if I open my drain taps, remove the filter and open the 3 caravan outlets- Sink, basin in the bathroom, and shower, before I leave a site for the last time in a season, then by the time I have driven the rig to my storage, the system has well & truly drained down anyway.

But like you I take the extra caution of turning my heater setting down to come on at 7 degrees C.  I am lucky because where my van is stored I have access to Mains, so my system and battery is always live!  I find that keeping my battery on charge, and my heater primed, uses a negligible amount of electricity. I pay an extra £10 per year for the facility, and the site owner is very happy.  So in answer to your query If you keep the van at home I would hook up! It won't cost a bomb!

TF

Posted on 07/11/2017 12:31

tigerfish , I do the same as you when leaving site and drive home with all taps and drains open, but using the Floe system I'm still able to drain  0,5/0.75 litre of water from the system every time. The caravan is stored on a site without any power supply and so I need to know it's fully drained. This is the second time the surge damper/pressure switch has failed, allowing the water pump to run continually  .

Apparently  Truma don't  make the same component anymore  and so a mod has to be made ( more expense) to fit the new design. I was wondering if charging the system with compressed air from my tyre pump was causing the pressure switch to fail.  undecided

EmilysDad replied on 07/11/2017 14:06

Posted on 07/11/2017 11:53 by

Shock horror TF surprised.  You drain down on site and then dribble on the way to storage.  A soggy pitch for the next camper and polluting HM highways.  Is there no end to your antisocial activities?  LoL laughing

Posted on 07/11/2017 14:06

I drain what might be left in the on-board tank & my hot water tank on the access road to the site when I leave though when I left my last site (Southport ) a few more gallons of water on the pitch wouldn't have made much difference compared with the amount of rain we'd had. 😟

cyberyacht replied on 07/11/2017 18:02

Posted on 07/11/2017 18:02

When I had the caravan I used to connect a foot pump to the Aquaroll water inlet, pressurise it and open each tap in turn. Now I have a on-board tank, I'm not sure how to deal with any residual. Fortunately sub-zero is rare in de deep south.

ihatew0rk replied on 07/11/2017 20:41

Posted on 07/11/2017 20:41

You can buy the different adaptors from floe website if you change caravan. https://www.keepfloeing.1gbx.com/categories/Touring/

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook