Fiamma Safe Door.

Mr Sambambles replied on 30/11/2018 20:13

Posted on 30/11/2018 20:13

Hi Folks. 

I was at my motor home dealer today and saw a van with 3 of these locks fitted. They looked neat and quite good. Has anyone got them or can recommend them. Just looking at a little extra security. Be good to hear your thoughts. 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/11/2018 20:21

Posted on 30/11/2018 20:21

My personal view is that there’s no point fitting them if you have plastic windows that can easily be flipped open by someone who knows how. 

Mr Sambambles replied on 30/11/2018 20:52

Posted on 30/11/2018 20:52

Thank you for that. It was more that we often keep some rather expensive bikes in the garage area and thought a little more security may help. I know you will never stop anyone if they really wish to break in. 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/11/2018 21:05

Posted on 30/11/2018 21:05

Perhaps fitting them to the garage might be an idea unless that could indicate there’s something of value inside.

cyberyacht replied on 01/12/2018 08:21

Posted on 01/12/2018 08:21

Any financial gain of nicking our bikes from the garage would be nullified by the subsequent osteopath's bill.

SteveL replied on 01/12/2018 08:41

Posted on 01/12/2018 08:41

I fitted one on our previous van after someone had a go at forcing the door with a screw driver. Although as TW says the windows are the most vulnerable places. In fact when the warden came to have a look he though it must have been a child, as he said " it would have been a lot easier to jemmy that window alongside".

I put it on more to cover the visible damage to the door than for security. It was much cheaper than getting it made new again.

One thing I would say, if using on the only habitation door and no window is alongside, make sure you also lock it open. Otherwise if any bright spark turned it across the door with you inside, you would be left with climbing out of a window.☹️

BrianandSue replied on 01/12/2018 09:55

Posted on 01/12/2018 09:55

Personally fitting extra security locks on all doors can only be a good idea, I have on all my doors. Majority of "scumbags" who break into motorhomes are after anything of value, cash , mobiles, laptops etc. that they can carry off quickly . So they want to get in and get out as quick as possible.  My advise, make it as difficult as you can.

(Retired Prison Service)

Tinwheeler replied on 01/12/2018 10:15

Posted on 01/12/2018 10:15

Caravans and MHs are extremely vulnerable to break ins. Plastic windows and a body that can be ripped open by a Stanley knife are a gift to thieves. I see no point at all in fitting extra locks to doors when there are so many other vulnerable spots. For instance, outside lockers and garage doors are very easy to open without a key. The method is probably well known but I won’t go into detail.

My advice is to invite as little damage as possible and leave as little of value in the van as you can. 

Each to their own, of course. 

replied on 01/12/2018 10:30

Posted on 01/12/2018 10:30

About 10 (?) years ago there were three caravans broken into on our street including one of our next door neighbours.  Thankfully neither I nor my nextdoor neighbour on the other side were affected. Maybe our lock gates and lighting put them off? 

The damage was minimal fortunately as a screwdriver or similar had been inserted at the door edge onto the locking piece and given a smack with a hammer. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook