Fiamma Caravanstore rollout awning

IanTG replied on 28/10/2018 12:49

Posted on 28/10/2018 12:49

Been thinking about buying the ‘in a zip-up bag on awning rail’ type. I was thinking about a 4m Long one, to give maximum protection from showers to any furniture/equipment.

But, a caravanner said he had gone from a (old] 2.8m to a (new) 3.1m, and had felt  the new one to be disproportionately heavier and thus more difficult to roll up into bag, when having to stretch for height.

A couple of questions.

1. Has the material quality been improved on newer models, and thus making it overall heavier?

2. How do other users get on with their longer versions, say over 3m? Are they heavy to roll up?

thanks in advance for any comments.

ForestR replied on 28/10/2018 14:41

Posted on 28/10/2018 14:41

We bought a new Fiamma last year to replace our 10 year old one. Our original was 2.25 m and we bought a 2.8 m which we have found much heavier but we can just about handle it despite our advancing years so may be they are constructed of heavier materials.

KjellNN replied on 28/10/2018 17:52

Posted on 28/10/2018 17:52

We had a 3.6m Zip model,  which was as big as we felt we could manage.

Unfortunately we have worn it out (just the roof part) and have decided, due to cost, not to replace it as the current van will likely be our last.

3.6 m gives a decent amount of space for table and chairs, cooking equipment and a cool box for drinks.

Metheven replied on 28/10/2018 18:14

Posted on 28/10/2018 18:14

I have the 3.6m, 3 years old and still going strong, also purchased an end piece that will fit either end if needed for rain/wind protection.

It really needs two to dismantle/prepare for rolling, and that part can be done by anyone physically able. We only carry the one step so I always do the final roll into the bag myself from a central position, and securing it with the middle velcro before moving on to the end velcros.

It's not disproportionately heavy I find but as ever it depends on the person(s) ability.

KenofKent replied on 28/10/2018 19:39

Posted on 28/10/2018 19:39

I have the 3.10 which weighs 10.5 kg. I think the 3.6 weighs 11.5 kg. I think you will need two of you to role a big one up straight to get it back in the bag. Excellent canopy, and don’t know it’s on the van when travelling.

Ken

richardandros replied on 29/10/2018 07:42

Posted on 29/10/2018 07:42

I have looked at these - but having recently had a bad experience at the weigh-bridge when I took our van there, I have to ask, given all the other things we pack into our vans - is there the spare capacity in your payload to allow for it?

At least a conventional awning can be carried in the car.

IanTG replied on 29/10/2018 08:37

Posted on 29/10/2018 08:37

Fair point Richard, but I have weighed the van, and know the weight of items usually carried. It would be fairly easy to move something else from van to car, especially if I’m not carrying an air awning in vehicle.

We really want a caravanstore type awning for trips to warmer, sunnier (parts of) Europe, just to give quick and easy cover. Every time we’ve been, we’ve taken the air awning and never erected it!

thanks for comments, everyone. Particularly for the ‘technique’ tips.

dmiller555 replied on 29/10/2018 10:47

Posted on 29/10/2018 10:47

We brought the 3.1m version mid-summer as we don't need a full awning when touring and spending only 3 or 4 days on each site. I have to manage the awning on my own. Unrolling and erection is not a problem. Rolling it up is quite difficult, mainly because in rolls inwards towards the caravan, and that is not the natural way because it puts a lot of strain on my wrists. That may be difficult to grasp without a diagram. Anyway I manage but I'm relieved that I didn't buy the longer version. 

We also brought the optional front and side sun screens, and they have had a lot of use this last summer.

old ludlovian replied on 29/10/2018 11:03

Posted on 29/10/2018 11:03

Hi how about having a look at issabella shadow sun blind 3m very light and easy to put up and easy to pack away . Very good quality item .used ours in France this year wife loved it  .wind damaged fiamma in bin 

IanTG replied on 29/10/2018 11:35

Posted on 29/10/2018 11:35

Interesting suggestion, thomamg, but I see it is described as a ‘sun’ shadow. As our primary purpose may be to protect chairs, barbq etc against showers, is it actually waterproof or does it only provide shade?

old ludlovian replied on 29/10/2018 11:58

Posted on 29/10/2018 11:58

Made from same material as awning so I would say yes .comes with storm sashes  we had sun all the time this year .some wind it stood up well to this .left chairs out no problems

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook