Fiamma awnings

Thierry On Tour replied on 30/09/2020 17:10

Posted on 30/09/2020 17:10

Are Fiamma awnings waterproof? I'm looking at buying one but was told they are only 'shower proof' which seems odd. Any feedback from Fiamma owners- much appreciated!

JVB66 replied on 30/09/2020 17:25

Posted on 30/09/2020 17:25

We have had a couple on both caravans and motor caravans and the material they are made of is waterproof ,as are the Thule /Omnistor equivalents, although if it is windy water tends to get you wetwink

Wreaker replied on 02/10/2020 19:45

Posted on 02/10/2020 19:45

Waterproof yes.  But not weather proof, in anything above moderate  winds, they try and take off. You need pegs and guy ropes attatched, even then, the flapping can keep you awake at night.  On an exposed site, with wind forcasted, put it in at night.  That said, I would not be without one, excelent sunshade and shower protection when not staying long enough to put up the awning, and without it, what would I attatch my driveaway awning to?    But to stay waterproof keep it clean. Tree sap, pidgeon and seagull poo rots the material, paricularly when it is wound in without cleaning and left for long periods.  After trips, when I wash the van, I also wind out and wash the awning and allow to dry before putting away.

DSB replied on 12/10/2020 20:56

Posted on 12/10/2020 20:56

We have a Thule 6200 windout canopy, which can be enclosed to make a full awning.  We very rarely put in the sides these days, and are just keep a careful eye on the weather.  Generally, we don't have any problems as we do use a 'belt and braces' method for securing it.  We use the recommended storm straps and also peg down the legs.  We have an additional centre down pole and use 3 telescopic roof supports (one either end and one in the middle).  We also now use peggy peg plates for the legs, so that, should we need to wind the roof in quickly, we can do so without having to unplug completely.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook