FaultyGas BBQ

hitchglitch replied on 24/06/2018 20:42

Posted on 24/06/2018 20:42

i have a Weber Baby Q barbecue which is quite a few years old and hasn’t been used for a year or two but kept in the garage with a cover. Tried to use it today and the gas was spluttering so either reduced flow rate or air getting in. Not sure whether the BBQ is faulty, regulator, bottle (quarter full) or hose. Any suggestions?

replied on 25/06/2018 09:35

Posted on 25/06/2018 09:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

commeyras replied on 25/06/2018 10:24

Posted on 25/06/2018 10:24

Yes HG.  The hose should  have a validity date on it like your motorhome's.  If it does not, or is out of date, then replace. 

hitchglitch replied on 25/06/2018 15:31

Posted on 25/06/2018 15:31

Thanks for the comments. I have had an insect in the hose before but not this time! Hose definitely out of date so will replace before proceeding. Also, I can connect to the motorhome external BBQ point so I will try this which will eliminate the regulator.

jennyc replied on 25/06/2018 20:59

Posted on 25/06/2018 20:59

We use a Weber Q2000 at home and a Q 1000 in our van. Both get very encrusted after frequent use, occasionally needing a good scrape down inside. Over winter the burners and jet areas can develop some encrustations of their own, which are difficult to access. A little attention with a modified suade brush, with brass bristles may help. Cellulose thinners seems to work well as a solvent for many oily substances too. Once lit and given a chance to stabilise for a few minutes, any residue seems to burn away and give a steady flame. You don’t need to be warned against lighting them before the cellulose thinners has evaporated, do you.

As an aside, have you seen the Weber price rises generated by the pound falling against the dollar?

hitchglitch replied on 25/06/2018 21:37

Posted on 25/06/2018 21:37

We have a Weber Baby Q at home and a Weber Go Anywhere for the motorhome. The latter uses a gas canister but for the Q, I replaced the canister with a direct connection to a 27mm snap-on regulator.

Today I had a long discussion with a Weber parts seller. Weber now do an adaptor (not cheap). One end has a snap-on 27 mm regulator which fits patio gas or BP Gas (Gas Light which I have at home). The other end screws directly into the Go Anywhere or into the regulator on the Q. This sounds wrong because the Go Anywhere already has a regulator but apparently that’s OK.

For anybody still awake, the problem is that the motorhome has an external BBQ point with a built in LPG tank so I cannot use the snap on regulator. The only solution is to cut the Weber adaptor hose and have a “tail” with a quick release connector so that I can have either the snap on regulator to use at home or the male for the motorhome BBQ point. It’s about £60 worth of kit so I am thinking about it!

jennyc replied on 26/06/2018 22:10

Posted on 25/06/2018 21:37 by hitchglitch

We have a Weber Baby Q at home and a Weber Go Anywhere for the motorhome. The latter uses a gas canister but for the Q, I replaced the canister with a direct connection to a 27mm snap-on regulator.

Today I had a long discussion with a Weber parts seller. Weber now do an adaptor (not cheap). One end has a snap-on 27 mm regulator which fits patio gas or BP Gas (Gas Light which I have at home). The other end screws directly into the Go Anywhere or into the regulator on the Q. This sounds wrong because the Go Anywhere already has a regulator but apparently that’s OK.

For anybody still awake, the problem is that the motorhome has an external BBQ point with a built in LPG tank so I cannot use the snap on regulator. The only solution is to cut the Weber adaptor hose and have a “tail” with a quick release connector so that I can have either the snap on regulator to use at home or the male for the motorhome BBQ point. It’s about £60 worth of kit so I am thinking about it!

Posted on 26/06/2018 22:10

I got lost in the detail, but I think that we’ve done the same. Both BBQs have a short tail with a standard gas line male connector at the end. Following which we have a straight length of hose with a caravan external socket at one end and a standard gas line female at the other. For home use we have a similar but short hose coupled to a patio gas compatible regulator with a standard gas line female at the other. Somewhere in the garage roof we have a rarely used Cadac Safari with a similar male and a camping gaz regulator with a female in line connector. In short, any burner can be connected to any gas source just by plugging it in. I can’t recall costs because it’s evolved over time.

richardandros replied on 27/06/2018 06:01

Posted on 27/06/2018 06:01

I had exactly the same problem with our Baby Q.  Although I have found the BBQ very easy to keep clean, the burner does become clogged over time.  I took the burner our completely and then prodded each hole with a paper clip or something similar.  Admittedly, it did take forever to do, but it did the trick and it's now working fine - until the next time!

hitchglitch replied on 27/06/2018 08:37

Posted on 27/06/2018 08:37

I ordered a new hose with Weber adaptor as mine is 15 years old but whilst researching it I came across an interesting American video. I noticed that when I switched the gas on, the regulator clicked quite loudly. According to this video, regulators have a cut-out which can be triggered by sudden gas movement. It’s a safety precaution in case of a sudden loss of gas. It causes reduced pressure and coughing and spluttering of the BBQ. Anyway, I followed the instructions to close all the valves then open very slowly and next time it worked. Maybe coincidence.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook