External 12 volt water pump keeps failing

Tirril replied on 31/07/2023 21:24

Posted on 31/07/2023 21:24

I have a 2017 Hymer Nova caravan with a 12 volt Comet VIP Plus water pump as well as a separate in board water pump when using an in board water tank. In the last 5 years I have had to replace the external water pump 3 times. They continue to function but at a much reduced flow rate reducing the tap flow to just a trickle. Changing to the in board tank restores normal flow rate.

We average about 6 weeks caravanning a year which is hardly excessive. The specification of the Comet pump is quite powerful (1.1 bar - 20 l per min). Any ideas why 3 failures? Is there a better more powerful and especially durable alternative. I am able to swap the connectors to a different model if required. I have even wondered if installing an in board pump would be better. Is there a danger to the taps in fitting a more powerful pump?

Many thanks. 

richardandros replied on 01/08/2023 06:30

Posted on 01/08/2023 06:30

Just after we took delivery of our van, I changed the external (Truma) and internal (Reich) pumps to Whale High Flows and the flow rate and pressure was much improved.  In nearly 5 years of quite heavy use, I've not had a problem - but I always carry a spare!

From what you say, you're not exactly experiencing a 'failure' and it sounds more like a blockage to me - especially as you say you don't use the van that much and algae etc could have built up. It could also be air in the system - possible causes include failed "O" rings at the connection.

It's difficult to say without hearing the pump in action - does it run at normal speed even though delivering a reduced flow - or is it slower? If so, it could be an electrical problem, although that said, they tend to either work - or not. If it's running very fast with little output, then I would definitely be leaning towards air getting in the system.

Sorry, don't know what else to suggest but I'm sure others will be along with their ideas.

Tirril replied on 01/08/2023 20:04

Posted on 01/08/2023 20:04

It is definitely the pump which fails as when I purchase a new one and test it by not connecting the outlet to the caravan it will pump the water from an aqua roll in a water jet (like a hosepipe) for about 12 feet. When it starts to fail it falls back to about 3 feet so a loss of pressure. This means when the pump outlet is connected to the caravan inlet there is insufficient pressure and water flow. It seems as if the pump weakens, possibly the rubber diaphragm.

I think the best solution is to follow your example and fit an internal Whale High Flow pump so many thanks for your post. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook