Electricals

gorite replied on 02/05/2021 09:55

Posted on 02/05/2021 09:55

I seem to have a problem with my electrical monitoring system.
I have a Ford Tribute T615.
My control panel told me recently that my vehicle battery was very low and that my leisure battery was not holding charge for very long.
I had both batteries tested and both needed replacing after 9 years.
Having replaced both of them, the control panel tells me that the leisure battery is retaining charge fine.
But it is still flashing a warning signal to me that the vehicle battery is below 10.9 v even though it is brand new.
Any ideas on what is causing this?
The connections to the EC100 control panel seem fine, but cannot find the connection for the control panel at the main EC155 power unit.
Could this be a loose connection somewhere or a faulty EC100?
I've unconnected it and reconnected it to reboot the software already but still the same problem.
Grateful for any advice.

Metheven replied on 02/05/2021 10:43

Posted on 02/05/2021 10:43

When replacing a vehicle battery in modern cars there is usually a 'Battery Monitoring System' module connected to (usually) the battery negative post.

This module will either need to know it has a new battery, by visiting a dealer to reset the module or waiting for it to re-learn which some can do after a few days of use.

Maybe the cause? as the BMS still remembers the old battery and/or voltage.

Phishing replied on 03/05/2021 00:29

Posted on 03/05/2021 00:29

You need to measure the battery voltage with a meter with the engine off. This should show something around 12.6v ish. now start the vehicle and run it up to 1500RPM, measure the battery voltage, it should be 14v. 

If you see the figures similar to above then you know the charging system is working and the battery is good.

If the battery is reading 10v then it probably has a cell down and you need to replace.

If it is not the charging system or the battery then it is probably an issue with the control panel but  check that the panel is not misreporting an issue.

gorite replied on 05/05/2021 16:21

Posted on 05/05/2021 16:21

Thank you both.

Any idea where I can get  new Sargent EC 100 Control Panel for  2013 Auotrail T615?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook