Driveaway awnings

greylag replied on 04/05/2019 09:58

Posted on 04/05/2019 09:58

Looking to buy a driveaway awning and am a bit confused about how they connect to the van.  Each advert talks about beads and channels....how does this make them driveaway?

I saw somewhere that some people throw lines across the motorhome and peg down the other side.

If someone can bring clarity to me, I may well go out and buy one.

JillwithaJay replied on 04/05/2019 10:38

Posted on 04/05/2019 10:38

I'm a caravanner not a motorhomer but, from what I've seen, a motorhome has a channel on the nearside of the vehicle (same as caravan awning channel) and you thread the large fabric 'flap/cover' of the awning through that and attach it to the awning structure and peg down as with any other awning.  The fabric flap 'cover'  then drops down to 'close and/or secure' the awning whilst the vehicle is away from the pitch. 

Perhaps not the best explanation so hope you can visualize the idea.  One of our motorhomer members will probably be able to give you a clearer picture. smile

I think the idea of 'throwing lines across' would be as a storm precaution, similar to storm lashing any caravan awning.

mickysf replied on 04/05/2019 10:50

Posted on 04/05/2019 10:50

If you have a sun canopy this will have a channel along it to take the driveway awning. You may need a fitting kit as well.

KeefySher replied on 04/05/2019 11:35

Posted on 04/05/2019 11:35

The 'kit' is a Kador / Safari that comprises a double edge beaded webbing strip available in 6mm / 8mm equal sides, or one side 6 the other 8 to fit in the awning rail / channel of the MH or a fitted sun canopy on one side. You fit that first. Once you erect the drive away awning before finally pegging it down you bring the beaded edge of the connecting tunnel to the Kador / Safari strip and use a plastic 'rod' called a figure of 8, it basically has 2 open sides that you then slide over the 2 beads 1 of the Kador / Safari and tunnel bead to form a connection. Move the awning till the tunnel is taught, then peg down.

When you want to 'drive away', you remove the figure of 8, collapsing the 'tunnel' and stowing it to prevent being blown away. If you use 2 pegs with bright coloured heads you bash them in the ground at the centre of each wheel nearest the awning so you can drive back to the same position to re-connect the tunnel.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Lots of videos on you tube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=connecting+a+drive+away+awning

We used a Khyam Motorhome Sleeper for 9 years on our MH using the Kador / Safari strip fitted into the front face channel in the Fiamma roll out awning mounted on the MH.

greylag replied on 04/05/2019 13:19

Posted on 04/05/2019 13:19

Wow!  Many thanks....will buy the awning today...KS...the explanation is excellent .

At the moment, hail stones are keeping me in. 

greylag replied on 06/05/2019 14:07

Posted on 06/05/2019 14:07

Well, we bought an awning and followed the advice given here and in the dry run it all became clear.  Also a demo from the salesman, who had a small mock up behind the counter helped.

Many thanks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook