Dometic Awning won’t open.

Apperley replied on 04/06/2023 15:49

Posted on 04/06/2023 15:49

Just wondered if anyone has had the same problem. My Dometic Perfectwall 1500 manual awning will not open. Yesterday the cab end appeared stuck and wouldn’t open. But after a few attempts and a pull with my hand it opened.  So I sprayed silicon on both end mechanisms.

Today the rear end won’t open. Thankfully it locks shut at either end so I can still travel. I think it has a 1 year warranty and that doesn’t expire until next month. Just wondered if anyone had the same problem?

Apperley replied on 04/06/2023 21:44

Posted on 04/06/2023 21:44

Update: So once it cooled down this evening I tried to open it again and it opened no problem! Still can’t quite understand it, but Mrs Apperley said helpfully, “I told you it was the heat that caused it to stick.”

peedee replied on 05/06/2023 17:10

Posted on 05/06/2023 17:10

I have had similar problems with my Omnistore which I have just written off. Just ordered a replacement.

peedee

peedee replied on 05/06/2023 17:32

Posted on 05/06/2023 17:32

Clipped a truck in a layby, fortunately no bodywork damage. Hopefully the new one, a Fiamma, won't stick. I never did solve the sticking problem. I just lived with the odd occasion it decided to misbehave. Usually a bit of jiggling the handle about would free it. I tried silicon, it seemed to help but never cured it totally.

peedee

brue replied on 05/06/2023 19:29

Posted on 05/06/2023 19:29

Our Thule awning often sticks, it's mostly to do with getting the wind out pole engaged at exactly the right angle (which can be tricky) it can make quite a noise too when it finally releases.

young thomas replied on 05/06/2023 19:37

Posted on 05/06/2023 19:29 by brue

Our Thule awning often sticks, it's mostly to do with getting the wind out pole engaged at exactly the right angle (which can be tricky) it can make quite a noise too when it finally releases.

Posted on 05/06/2023 19:37

Funnily, our Thule is really smooth and works works better than the Fiammas on our two UK vans...

I know what you mean about engaging the winder, can be a bit tricky but I'd say just be gentle👍

peedee replied on 06/06/2023 07:09

Posted on 06/06/2023 07:09

Thought I might get away with just a new gear box but not so. Apparently too much damage. I was prepared to have a go at repairing it myself but I could not get it off the motorhome. The retaining screws were fixed solid and I also thought it would be too heavy for me to handle. I found out later it was also sealed on so I stood no chance. I emailed two local dealers with pictures of the damage and enquired if they could repair it. That was six days ago and neither have so far replied (DK one was White Arches) Google was my friend and I found a workshop not too far away which I previously had no knowledge of and popped round to check  them out. I was pleased to find a decent workshop and freindly staff of an expanding business locally.

Brue my problems with sticking was always at the opposite end to the winding end and always seemed to be due to failure to unlatch the end properly.

peedee

brue replied on 06/06/2023 07:39

Posted on 06/06/2023 07:39

I'd forgotten ours is integrated into the van so no chance of catching it on anything but being flat can make it stick quite firmly. Hope the OP finds a solution and your repair goes well Peedee! 

richardandros replied on 06/06/2023 10:06

Posted on 06/06/2023 10:06

Sticking was part of the problem I've had with our Omnistor - fitted by our dealer last November.  Thanks to excellent advice from John Rose at Rose Awnings, it transpires that they used the wrong fixing bracket plus, it had been set too far back on the roof so that the lip of the awning was catching on the awning rail. It's currently with the dealer being sorted out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook