Deplorable / non-existent support from TomTom

richardandros replied on 20/06/2022 16:09

Posted on 20/06/2022 16:09

Is it just me - or has anyone else experienced the deplorable level of technical support from TomTom? To all intents and purposes, it's non existent.  Absolutely no means of speaking to anyone - the chat line is an automated joke - and emails just fob you off.

I recently bought a Go Discover device - costing almost £300 - after my last TT gave up the ghost. I've posted on here a few times that I like to plan routes on the MyDrive webpage and then download them to the device - via Wifi - the satnav being logged into My Drive to enable that to happen. It gives me the reassurance that the directions from the satnav will be exactly as I have planned the route without any danger of any stupid shortcuts. I have been using this for years without a problem.

Trouble is - with this new one - when I try to log it into MyDrive - I get a daft error message "Ooops. Something's gone wrong - unable to access TomTom services at the moment.  Please try again later".  It's been doing this for the last two weeks.

Tried the chat facility - pointed in the direction of the TT Community.  One guy on there did make a few useful suggestions but it didn't solve the problem. Then tried email and even sent a screenshot of the offending error message and today got a reply from some dipstick to the effect that because I was trying to navigate a caravan as opposed to a car, that was why it wouldn't download the route from MyDrive.  I just fell about laughing and replied accordingly. The suggestion was that I should have spent even more money and bought the Go Camperundecided

It's absolutely impossible to get to speak to someone - and I know too many companies are going down this path - but having spent that sort of money, it is clear that they have absolutely no interest in customer satisfaction.

Needless to say - as soon as I get back home - this heap of rubbish is going back and I'll look for an alternative which will offer some level of support. The frustrating thing is, I am convinced there is a simple solution to the problem if only I could speak to someone who knew what they were talking about.

replied on 21/06/2022 10:24

Posted on 21/06/2022 10:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

old ludlovian replied on 22/06/2022 12:27

Posted on 22/06/2022 12:27

After trying to up up date our TT on line only  to be told. it can no longer be up dated .daughter put new ap on i phone called Waze it’s free and up to the minute info for speed cams road accidents and much mor

richardandros replied on 22/06/2022 13:05

Posted on 22/06/2022 13:05

I’m familiar with Waze - indeed, I think it’s on my phone somewhere. The issue I have is not being able to use MyDrive and the fact that there’s no human support.

old ludlovian replied on 22/06/2022 13:47

Posted on 22/06/2022 13:47

I fully understand after  going on line paying to then find out it can’t be updated to then go through the rigmorole of getting a refund and waiting for credit card bill to arrive hoping it’s been repaid I  don’t need the headache, can’t I just speak to someone on the phone

richardandros replied on 24/06/2022 07:40

Posted on 24/06/2022 07:40

Having had a big rant - I thought I would add a postscript to this saga.  Despite to-ing and fro-ing over the last  few days with so-called TT Customer Support - which was of no use whatsoever, I have now worked out what the problem was.  As I suspected, it was a simple issue and - with hindsight - glaringly obvious.

It may help someone else with a similar problem.

I was using a password, generated automatically, by my password manager software to log into my TT account.  That was OK on the computer and I could log in.  However, the password contained a "&" symbol.  The format of that symbol on the TT device is different from that on a computer. 

Consequently, the device was not logging into the TT account and couldn't sync. I changed the password to something simple with no symbols - and it worked immediately.

If the error message had said "incorrect password" instead of that "services not available at the moment"  gibberish - I would have spotted it immediately.

LenW replied on 26/06/2022 13:00

Posted on 26/06/2022 13:00

i use Tom Tom go professional, it's pretty good but you do need to be careful of the updates as for some inexplicable reason some of their updates will break your stuff. Save settings in file before updating, at least then you can put it back as was. One other thing, despite how many times you put in the size of  you vehicle or rig it will route you up impossible lanes, which can be frustrating not least for the guy behind. Stay safe don't follow it blindly like I occasional do! The sync with phone feature is invaluable as it will read the road ahead, giving you options - especially good when there is a road traffic accident.

richardandros replied on 26/06/2022 13:29

Posted on 26/06/2022 13:00 by LenW

i use Tom Tom go professional, it's pretty good but you do need to be careful of the updates as for some inexplicable reason some of their updates will break your stuff. Save settings in file before updating, at least then you can put it back as was. One other thing, despite how many times you put in the size of  you vehicle or rig it will route you up impossible lanes, which can be frustrating not least for the guy behind. Stay safe don't follow it blindly like I occasional do! The sync with phone feature is invaluable as it will read the road ahead, giving you options - especially good when there is a road traffic accident.

Posted on 26/06/2022 13:29

Len - that's the very reason I use the TT in conjunction with MyDrive - to avoid being 'forced' down unsuitable routes. With new routes, I research them thoroughly using Google Maps and Street View where appropriate.  When I'm happy that I've found a suitable route for car and van in tow - I replicate that in MyDrive on my computer which then automatically syncs with the TT device and is stored in "My Routes" on the device.  I know then that it will direct me exactly down the route I have selected without any stupid detours.

Relying on putting in the size of your vehicle is never going to be reliable because there isn't as yet, a database of road widths - so a cart track going in the same direction as a main road won't be viewed any differently by the satnav.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook