Cycle distance meter

huskydog replied on 22/06/2018 09:36

Posted on 22/06/2018 09:36

I am looking to buy a distance meter for my bike ,but there seems to be loads ,any advice would be helpful , just looked at Halfords and they range from £15 to £300surprised

P.S , I haven't rode a bike for over 40 years surprised 

JVB66 replied on 22/06/2018 09:47

Posted on 22/06/2018 09:47

I still have (somewhere) the original? mechanical type that fitted on the front forks and worked by a little cam bolted? on a spoke that "knocked" the star wheel and so clicked up the distance travelledsurprised

brue replied on 22/06/2018 09:59

Posted on 22/06/2018 09:59

If you haven't been on a bike for years don't worry about how far you'll go just see how safe you feel first. I had one on a previous bike but it was pre-fitted for speed and distance. They're good fun to have, my bike came from Halfords.

JVB66 replied on 22/06/2018 10:01

Posted on 22/06/2018 09:36 by huskydog

I am looking to buy a distance meter for my bike ,but there seems to be loads ,any advice would be helpful , just looked at Halfords and they range from £15 to £300surprised

P.S , I haven't rode a bike for over 40 years surprised 

Posted on 22/06/2018 10:01

40yrs!!!!surprised can stablizers be fitted to adult cyclescool

JayEss replied on 22/06/2018 10:06

Posted on 22/06/2018 10:06

I use the app 'map my ride' on my phone. It's surprisingly accurate. Well it says the same as the reading on my ebike. 

OH has a cheap one which was less than £20 from Amazon. It seems accurate enough as well but a bit of a faff to fit 

DavidKlyne replied on 22/06/2018 10:06

Posted on 22/06/2018 10:06

If you have a Smart Phone why not use an app? I use an app called Map my Walk which works perfectly well if you cycle or walk.

David

jennyc replied on 24/06/2018 08:34

Posted on 24/06/2018 08:34

We use a mapping and route tracing App called Cyclemeter. In its free form it works well, showing average, highest speeds, distances with each mile shown on its map, and where you are at any time. A friend uses it while out riding her horse and we also use it while walking.

Many cycling enthusiasts use Strava, which will collect data from various sources such as e heart monitors (Cyclemeter does that too).

And Pros use Garmin, which often uses transponders built into their bikes.

If you want a simple, phone free monitor, Google "Cateye Strada slimline”. The latter refers to their neatest attachment inside the front fork which uses a tiny magnet attached to a spoke to provide data which is wirelessly communicated to the very neat display on your handlebars. Although it creates data in several forms, the screen is so small that it can only display two at a time. We’ve both got two bikes, one for off road and the other being a minimal weight fast road bike. At under £35 each, we have the above in perminant residence on all of our handlebars, supplemented by Cyclemeter when on longer routes. All of the above will benefit from more robust mounts to replace the Velcro or plastic ties which come with them.

if you do decide on mapping Apps, you could do worse than check out ToPeak’s range of bar mounts, phone cases and, in due course, power banks, because constant mapping on a smart phone can drain your battery on longer routes.

But for now, as a returnee to cycling, you probably just need a low cost, low commitment solution until you decide whether you want to do more.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook