Cycle carrier for A frame

IanTG replied on 20/02/2020 09:59

Posted on 20/02/2020 09:59

soon to take delivery of our new Adria caravan, a feature of which is the longer A frame. This gives the opportunity to carry 2 cycles there, rather than on vehicle roof rack, which causes higher ferry fares due to 3m height (bikes normally taken abroad on our 6 week spring/summer jaunt), and the need for extra vigilance for low bridges or car park barriers etc. To say nothing of the extra challenge of getting on or off roof.

So, now considering the A frame racks. I realise I will need to factor in weight on towbar, but tow car/bar has 100kg limit, as well as overall weight distribution on caravan (upgraded weight plated).

a few questions...

1. Anyone able to say how they got on using an A frame rack? Easy to use, load, unload etc?

2. Any recommendations for make or model of rack?

3. Do all models of rack fit any caravan?

thanks for any insights.

JVB66 replied on 20/02/2020 12:20

Posted on 20/02/2020 12:20

When we had full size cycles,we carried them in the caravan when travelling, and "locked them" to caravan when on sitesurprised

It is not just the car limit ,but if it is an alko hitch head that also has a 100kg limitfrown

ocsid replied on 20/02/2020 13:21

Posted on 20/02/2020 13:21

You also need to hoist into your deliberations the limitation it places on usable "steering lock".

Placing as far back against the van's front of course helps.

Reversing, fouling up is unavoidable but I suggest you explore this, I did, but I would also try forwards on full lock whilst somebody reliable looks on from outside. Forward that could be unaffected, but best to understand the limitations.

Fixing is very easy, "U" bolts with clamps underneath hooking onto the chassis "A" frame rails.

Only drilling was through the Al-Ko plastic fairing we had.

replied on 20/02/2020 13:21

Posted on 20/02/2020 13:21

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ocsid replied on 20/02/2020 13:51

Posted on 20/02/2020 13:51

"Only drilling was through the Al-Ko plastic fairing we had."

I would initially remove the cover and fit the rack on the bare rails to explore its best location, before going for the final mounting.

IanTG replied on 20/02/2020 14:13

Posted on 20/02/2020 14:13

Thanks all. I believe (but proof in pudding on collection) that there is no plastic cover over A frame on Adria, so that’s one complication less.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook