Crumbling bodywork on Elddis Xplore

EdgarDavids replied on 01/07/2017 14:16

Posted on 01/07/2017 14:16

Hi all

First time post, I hope I'm posting on the correct forum page.

Anyway, just noticed today that on my Elddis Xplore the bodywork on the side rear panel next to the awning rail is literally starting to crumble away. This has only occcured in the past 3 months as I gave it a top-to-bottom clean in the Spring.

I should point out that I've had the 'van since new and it is only FIVE years old. Is this normal?!!

I've dropped a note to Elddis but in the past I have found them to be as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I was hoping my fellow caravanners would know (a) paint code I need, and (b) recommended make of fillers

Thanks in advance

David

Fozzie replied on 01/07/2017 15:05

Posted on 01/07/2017 15:05

Hi ED yes you might find this thread being moved so keep an eye out for being moved.

Your issue is more to do with your dealer not Eldiss directly,from the photograph it looks like the rear of your van,I would check inside the van and see what is opposite or nearby to see if problem is caused by something on the interior.

As for fillers cannot help there.

I have never seen holes like this appear before.

BTW Is that a face looking out!

BrianLambert replied on 01/07/2017 15:18

Posted on 01/07/2017 15:18

Difficult to tell from photo but could be corrosion from the inside due to damp. If it is then I would think that you will need more than filler, but if you do decide to fill it a flexible polyester filler from an auto store will do, you may need some metal mesh to support the filler. If you have a water ingress warranty I would get back to the dealer soon.

Brian 

N1805 replied on 01/07/2017 20:46

Posted on 01/07/2017 20:46

Sorry can’t help except to suggest that if there is an Elddis owner’s forum maybe also post your query on there.  Good luck.

crown green bowler replied on 09/07/2017 23:01

Posted on 09/07/2017 23:01

I thought that Elddis give a ten year damp warranty on there caravans so can you not claim that that your van is damp because of this.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook