Cleaning caravan

jhanky1 replied on 15/04/2020 18:59

Posted on 15/04/2020 18:59

Hi, can anybody give me any advice regarding the purchase of an extension pole and a brush. I have recently cleaned my caravan roof but struggled. I see that you can buy a pole and brush but would like one that has been tried and tested. Thank you.

Jhanky1

JillwithaJay replied on 15/04/2020 19:29

Posted on 15/04/2020 19:29

Use the hose to wet the van and then, using Autoglymn Caravan and Motorhome Cleaner, followed by a good rinse, we use this set up, making sure that the ladder is safe and secure to avoid accidents.

jhanky1 replied on 15/04/2020 20:27

Posted on 15/04/2020 20:27

Hi JillwithaJay, thank you for your advice.  How does your partner secure his ladder on the caravan. 👍

cyberyacht replied on 16/04/2020 08:21

Posted on 16/04/2020 08:21

One useful tip is the wrap a bit of old carpet around the top of the ladder  which prevents any scratches. Unless you have the ladder at a very shallow angle, the load on the awning rail isn't too great. It's amazing how much muck accumulates on the roof.

richardandros replied on 16/04/2020 10:24

Posted on 16/04/2020 10:24

"It's amazing how much muck accumulates on the roof."

Until recently, Cy, I would have agreed with you.  Our previous Barcelona used to get filthy over the winter - especially with green mould underneath the edges of the roof lights and around the solar panel.

I cleaned the roof of our Knaus for the first time after 16 months, the other day, and there was hardly any dirt on it at all.  It's stored on the drive in exactly the same place as the last one and I couldn't believe the difference. I don't know if it has anything to do with it being a one piece GRP roof, or what - but the difference was remarkable.

replied on 16/04/2020 11:16

Posted on 16/04/2020 11:16

I bought a ladder for decorating the stairwell of our French hovel about3 years ago. It has 3 sections, 1 of which can be folded to form a step ladder base, whilst the 3rd section extends beyond the vertical line to give a safe extra reach. I used this set up to clean the caravan roof because I can set the ladder parallel to the van,so no contact and minimal leaning across if using an extending brush. 2 or 3 'shuffles' along the van gives ample space to clean around roof vents etc at close quarters, reducing the level of pressure to be applied, and, in turn, reducing the chance of the ladder tipping or tilting.

By extending the brush poles, it's possible to dunk the brush head in the soap bucket without to descend too far down the ladder, whilst avoiding the risk of trying to haul a bucket up when refills are needed.

Mrs March still stands at the foot of the ladder, and usually passes the time by checking the insurance cover and confirming that the premiums are paid to date, but she is a careful and canny Scot ... [is there any other sort?] ...

Steve

Metheven replied on 16/04/2020 11:33

Posted on 16/04/2020 11:33

Using a ladder with bucket of soapy water below, I use a Mop. It adds that bit of friction/heaviness when wet that is needed to remove a winters grime, then the same with a bucket of mixed 'Bobby Dazzler' to finish it off.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 16/04/2020 12:04

Posted on 16/04/2020 12:04

As far as I’m concerned ladders and steps are for access only. It’s hard to maintain three point of contact when washing a caravan/ Motorhome roof.

So I purchased a small portable scaffolding platform. It gives me a safe steady platform to work from when I clean the caravan roof. Takes a few minutes to erect and dismantle and stores away in quite compactly. 

No wobbly moments when using. No leaning against my pristine caravan sides, less chance of it slipping and me ending on the floor waiting for something to follow me down to land on me. And with a nice size platform to work from, less strain on the feet and more reach and less getting down to move a few feet. 

jhanky1 replied on 16/04/2020 14:20

Posted on 16/04/2020 14:20

Thank you for sharing your views. They have all been very helpful. Think i will gor for the mop idea. Happy caravanning (when we can).

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook