Choosing a Jockey Wheel

Mr H replied on 14/10/2018 11:58

Posted on 14/10/2018 11:58

There have been a number of discussions regarding wheel composition, but my query is about the quality of manufacture. There are numerous ads on Ebay and the like, with a great disparity of price. As this is an essential component should I avoid the cheaper versions? I replaced my original Alco jockey wheel due to its solid wheel becoming worn. Its replacement, a full jockey wheel assembly, now has the threaded part bent slightly. This has resulted in the wheel not rotating properly. So I am anxious my next choice will be a sound one. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oneputt replied on 14/10/2018 12:42

Posted on 14/10/2018 12:42

Think I would probably go for an Alko premium as it’s an integral part of the van.  The forces placed on it even using a mover are pretty high.  I don’t think that £50 is too high a price to pay for something that should last a lot of years

JVB66 replied on 14/10/2018 16:31

Posted on 14/10/2018 16:31

We have the alko jockey wheel with built in.nose weight gauge  quite heavy but well made, we take it off (a frame side mounted).when travelling.. 

Phishing replied on 14/10/2018 20:55

Posted on 14/10/2018 20:55

I too have been looking around. I ruled out the Alko ones as the two previous ones were not as robust I think they should be. I have already decided on a steel wheel with a solid rubber tyre. I will probably go for the one with the highest working loads stated.

The assembly has many choices and I too would appreciate if anyone has experience of say Bradley, Indespension, TrailerTek, Karrt, etc.

SteveL replied on 15/10/2018 08:05

Posted on 15/10/2018 08:05

We also bought one of the Alko nose weight gauge types, like JVB. The standard one supplied with the van expired after about 4 years. It really was not strong enough for use with the power mover, which puts a lot of sideways stress, even if lowered as far as possible. The much stronger construction and very wide wheel of the nose weight version makes it ideal. Indeed Alko specifically recommend it for use with a mover, which they don't for there other types. It is heavy, but the weighty wheel can be quickly removed for travel. Or if side mounted taken off entirely as JVB above. Price also may be a factor it is circa £100.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook