Caravan Security

Jobosan replied on 07/09/2019 21:50

Posted on 07/09/2019 21:50

i am new to touring. I have just brought a new caravan. Early in 2020 I want to start touring in Europe. Being a solo caravaner I wanted some advice on security in all aspects please? On occasion I will be off grid.

peedee replied on 08/09/2019 07:15

Posted on 08/09/2019 07:15

When off grid do not stay on the Autoroute aires especially those on toll free routes near major cities and borders. These areas seem to be the ones where most trouble occurs.

Keep valuables out of site and be wary of distraction thefts when travelling. If flagged down don't stop unless you recognise the request to be from a uniformed policeman.

Keep emergency numbers for the countries you are in on a card handy, you never know when you may need them.

In spite of all the stories circulated, you will be very unlucky to have problems. In over 30 years of touring I have never had a problem, just be as cautious as you would in this country. Safe travelling.

peedee

SeasideBill replied on 08/09/2019 10:50

Posted on 08/09/2019 10:50

Good advice from peedee. In addition, a safe securely mounted to the floor/chassis will probably keep things like a mobile phone, credit cards, vehicle documents and passports safe from all but the most committed of thieves. Won’t stop them breaking in but will make the aftermath much easier to deal with.

Be very suspicious of vans parked up in rest areas etc with Romanian plates and the windows obscured. 

If you’re going be doing plenty of off grid, consider investing in a refillable gas system.

lornalou1 replied on 08/09/2019 13:00

Posted on 08/09/2019 10:50 by SeasideBill

Good advice from peedee. In addition, a safe securely mounted to the floor/chassis will probably keep things like a mobile phone, credit cards, vehicle documents and passports safe from all but the most committed of thieves. Won’t stop them breaking in but will make the aftermath much easier to deal with.

Be very suspicious of vans parked up in rest areas etc with Romanian plates and the windows obscured. 

If you’re going be doing plenty of off grid, consider investing in a refillable gas system.

Posted on 08/09/2019 13:00

Sorry, but why would you keep a mobile phone in a safe as thats what it is, Mobile. You keep it in your pocket as thats what you will need most to call people after the break-in.

SeasideBill replied on 08/09/2019 13:33

Posted on 08/09/2019 13:00 by lornalou1

Sorry, but why would you keep a mobile phone in a safe as thats what it is, Mobile. You keep it in your pocket as thats what you will need most to call people after the break-in.

Posted on 08/09/2019 13:33

Fairly obvious really - as a solo traveller there are times when you might not want your mobile with you, leaving it to go swimming or shower for example. In any event, I always carry a spare mobile, comes in useful when you have to verify ID via email or SMS in order to use ‘free’ wifi, certainly wouldn’t use my regular mobile number or email address.

replied on 08/09/2019 13:37

Posted on 08/09/2019 13:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Jobosan replied on 13/09/2019 21:32

Posted on 13/09/2019 21:32

Thank you all for the tips to stay safe when in Europe. I will certainly get a safe and bolt it to some thing robust. Is it advisable to keep the caravan locked on to the car when travelling?

Any tips on a rear view camera system? Are they useful?

I am unsure about the remark about refillable gas?

Jobo 

KjellNN replied on 13/09/2019 22:44

Posted on 13/09/2019 22:44

If you go off grid then you will be using gas for heating and fridge, as well as cooking, so you will get through more gas than usual.

Should you find that electricity is metered, for example in Germany, you will find the charge per KWH is very high, so you would save money by using gas.

However, Calor Gas  cylinders cannot be exchanged abroad, only Camping Gaz, which is expensive, so you could consider getting a refillable cylinder that you refill at the LPG pumps.

A large investment initially, but you will save a lot on the gas compared to for example, Calor, and you will always have a gas supply. 

ocsid replied on 14/09/2019 07:06

Posted on 14/09/2019 07:06

We would advise you split your cash funds and credit/debit cards [of different providers] three ways, so loss is not a total wipeout. In our case we each carry the same providers card for normal use.

One "set" you carry as normal, the two others are "buried" respectively in the car and the caravan, like buried behind some clip out trim or in the van's case possibly a minor screw off panel.

Having to cancel all cards and be without cash away from your home address is nearly as stressful and challenging to resolve as it gets.

Like others we have one of our older unlocked mobile phones with a non expiring pay as you go SIM, buried out of the way.

Oneputt replied on 14/09/2019 08:24

Posted on 14/09/2019 08:24

On 2 sites in Germany recently we saved €34 by not hooking up.  Obviously on some sites electric is rolled up in the site fees so no real benefit in not hooking up.

Have a look at the Caravan and Motorhome off-grid group on face book. All sorts of info available for off grid camping

As far as security is concerned we use the same common sense approach we use in the uk

Wherever and however you decide to camp enjoy 

Wildwood replied on 14/09/2019 11:42

Posted on 14/09/2019 11:42

If you stop for a rest, do check round the outfit before setting off. It has been known for bottles to be left in front of a tyre in a bid to cause a puncture so you stop on the road when it becomes obvious. Very rare but do be aware of this in Spain.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook