Caravan awning channel modification

Mr H replied on 27/10/2019 09:00

Posted on 27/10/2019 09:00

We have a porch style awning that only needs to connect with the horizontal part of the channel. This presents us with difficulties feeding the awning in from the bottom at near ground level, as we are a pair of old fogeys. So my question is, has anybody modified the channel to raise the entry point nearer the top of the caravan? Can it be adjusted without damaging the rail or the paintwork?

replied on 27/10/2019 09:10

Posted on 27/10/2019 09:10

What caravan is it? I had the dealer put entry flairs at both ends of caravan at head height. Took 10 mins including going 100 yards to workshop and back to fetch the tool. Previous van was alloy finish rail and present a white rail. I ask which van as my last two have been Lunar and there was no entry flair other than at bottom from manufacturer. With the first caravan I had taken delivery before I realised the problem but on first trip out diverted 30 mile off route to call in, turn the outfit in the carpark ready for off and one of the technicians came out and job done. When I got latest caravan, although I no longer was using an awning I had it done at collection.

Mr H replied on 27/10/2019 09:19

Posted on 27/10/2019 09:19

Thanks for that. My caravan is a Lunar. I can see it would be relatively easy to flair at the beginning of the channel but not so easy to do it part way along.

replied on 27/10/2019 09:24

Posted on 27/10/2019 09:24

Dealer had a tool for the job and it was no problem. With the first lunar I reckoned the slight detour was easiest ..... and safest wink and definitely neatest!

EmilysDad replied on 27/10/2019 23:28

Posted on 27/10/2019 17:10 by lornalou1

My Swift has a second entry at shoulder level.

Posted on 27/10/2019 23:28

I must be taller than you .... the front awning entry point on my Coachman is more like waist height on mine 😉 😉

Mr H replied on 11/11/2019 18:38

Posted on 11/11/2019 18:38

Just in case anyone wants to be able to insert the awning into the rail at a higher position the way I achieved it is with a plastic peg and a mallet. By inserting the peg at 45 degrees and tapping upwards the job was done in about 2 minutes. It was easier to do it upwards and there was no damage to the channel or paintwork.

Hope this helps as it is far easier to locate the awning in as it hangs vertically whereas entry at the lower point often means it is not so.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook