Camping Chair

fatbelly replied on 27/04/2017 08:10

Posted on 27/04/2017 08:10

Hi

Has anyone come across a really comfortable camping chair that can be used for dining alfresco and to sit for hours on the beach also reasonably lightweight/portable. We would prefer something padded in the right places and supportive for our back. There is such a large selection on the internet so we are finding it hard to narrow it down.  We have read other reviews where people recommend the only way is to go and physically try them however we have never found anywhere that carries a large enough range of different makes within driving distance.

Thanks

replied on 27/04/2017 08:26

Posted on 27/04/2017 08:26

Choosing a chair to suit everybody is impossible. Until about 12 years ago I used good quality plastic garden chairs. When OH joined me and we bought a new 'van we looked for a couple of years to find a style that suited us both. In the mean time we bought two folding directors style chairs that were end of range and £10 each, we still take them away at our Christmas break as they take less room and we are not likely to be sat out for long.

As a caravanner we have also carried fold up/roll up type chairs for days out that are easier to carry for a distance but I appreciate that storage is more of a consideration for some motorhomers.. 

Milothedog replied on 27/04/2017 09:50

Posted on 27/04/2017 09:50

We have 2 of these:  Kampa Chair

We bought them a few years back to keep in the boot of our classic car to sit on at car shows. For us there are extremely comfortable for long term sitting & eating. the real test being my Wife has very bad rheumatoid arthritis and mobility issues so if she finds them OK them I would recommend them to anyone.

They also pack up into a cylindrical draw string bag, we store them under the front seats in the caravan and they take up very little room and are not very heavy.

Ian.

replied on 27/04/2017 10:08

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:08

Suprisingly chairs that seem to offer good back support often do not suit my artritic spine. Which is why I say need to try. They do look good and if bought from internet can be tried and returned if necessary.

JillwithaJay replied on 27/04/2017 10:24

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:24

We bought two of these plus optional footrests.  They're great for dining and, with or without the footrests, they're very comfortable for relaxing. They're also very lightweight. The price is probably slightly out of date now but, by asking nicely, we got a good discount on the purchase of two.

replied on 27/04/2017 10:30

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:30

We have the same Jill and very pleased 

Navigateur replied on 27/04/2017 10:49

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:49

I use some alloy framed canvas seat chairs that were surplus to requirenents of the British Army. I find them great for eating and sleeping though others mock the appearance until they try them. They are also very light.

groovy cleaner replied on 27/04/2017 10:59

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:59

have a look on the Argos website they have their camping and Caravanning section back in now 

DavidKlyne replied on 27/04/2017 15:52

Posted on 27/04/2017 15:52

A few years ago we purchased a couple of La Fuma chairs, not the recliners, although the chairs do adjust. They are lightweight and had a storage bag for them which sits in the shower of our 740 whilst travelling.

David

Tammygirl replied on 27/04/2017 18:34

Posted on 27/04/2017 10:24 by JillwithaJay

We bought two of these plus optional footrests.  They're great for dining and, with or without the footrests, they're very comfortable for relaxing. They're also very lightweight. The price is probably slightly out of date now but, by asking nicely, we got a good discount on the purchase of two.

Posted on 27/04/2017 18:34

We have the same and find them comfy for both sitting at the table and lounging, the fact that you can leave them outside even if it rains is a bonus. 

Unfortunately the Kampa Chair that suits Milothedog  does not suit me, we had some but I found there was no lower back support so they aggravated my back. I agree with ET you have to try them out for yourself.

Spriddler replied on 27/04/2017 20:36

Posted on 27/04/2017 20:36

I bought a couple of 'Manager's Special' chairs (£29.99 the pair) from Halfords and the plastic corners broke after about 6 weeks' use. Waste of money plus they are far to low to eat outside at the camping table.

I'm looking for recliners (40 years ago my parents used to call 'em Sunloungers) - the sort to enjoy a nap after a post-lunch or dinner glass or two of St Emilion, but they all seem so cumbersome to store in the m/home. Inevitable I suppose.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook