Calor 4.5kg bottles unavailable

Southwold Topaz replied on 24/06/2021 15:08

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:08

Hi everyone. We live in East Anglia (Southwold) and I have tried everywhere, with out success, to get a refill for our 4.5kg Butane gas bottle. I was told by the Norwich Calor Centre that Calor are not refilling them at the moment, for whatever reason.

Has anyone else been having this problem or is it just here in East Anglia?

We have an Autosleeper VW Topaz which is equipped with a gas box just big enough to get this size in, does anyone know of a comparable size bottle.....or will I have to get my woodworking tools out? Lets hope not...

Kind regards

Dave

harryb replied on 24/06/2021 15:37

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:37

Many stories are going around about 6kg propane being a problem but I've never heard of butane being a problem. Try builders merchants or farming dealers they always seem to have stock

Southwold Topaz replied on 24/06/2021 15:47

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:47

Thanks Harry

I have rang 15 places on the way home this morning from camping at Beccles, and not one had stock. I will keep looking, meanwhile I have emailed Calor direct

LLM replied on 24/06/2021 15:51

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:51

No idea what's going on with Calor but Flogas have such a cylinder shortage, due to the delay in getting new stock from overseas, they are not taking on any new customers.  If you have a cylinder to exchange all will be well, but you can't buy new.  

replied on 24/06/2021 15:55

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:08 by Southwold Topaz

Hi everyone. We live in East Anglia (Southwold) and I have tried everywhere, with out success, to get a refill for our 4.5kg Butane gas bottle. I was told by the Norwich Calor Centre that Calor are not refilling them at the moment, for whatever reason.

Has anyone else been having this problem or is it just here in East Anglia?

We have an Autosleeper VW Topaz which is equipped with a gas box just big enough to get this size in, does anyone know of a comparable size bottle.....or will I have to get my woodworking tools out? Lets hope not...

Kind regards

Dave

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:55

What about the 3.9kg Propane? Is that available?

LLM replied on 24/06/2021 16:13

Posted on 24/06/2021 16:13

Message from Calor.

We’re currently experiencing cylinder availability issues due to higher demand and restricted supply. Some cylinder sizes are unavailable or limited to exchange only. Calor Centres are closed to the public other than by appointment. Please read our full statement.

Full Statement:

To our valued customers

We’re continuing to work tirelessly to deliver gas safely to homes and businesses across the UK despite the many challenges caused by Covid-19.

We continue to work safely at Calor following all Covid guidelines, but there is the possibility that people in vital roles such as drivers and customer service agents may have to take time off work. We therefore apologise if you experience longer waiting times as a result.

Gas bottle delivery and collection

We are currently experiencing cylinder availability issues due to higher demand and restricted supply. Availability is evolving constantly but please be aware that some cylinder sizes are unavailable or limited to exchange only.

For customers wishing to collect or return gas bottles, please call ahead to book an appointment with your local Calor Centre.

We continue to provide a delivery service, supplying and collecting gas bottles from your own sites. Please contact your local supplying Calor Centre to arrange a delivery. Alternatively you can order via our Online Shop or go to our Find a retailer page, where you can enter your postcode and find the nearest retailer to you. We recommend calling before travelling to one of our retailers, to check opening hours.

The Covid pandemic has resulted in record demand for Calor cylinders in 2020 due to the prolonged lockdown, warm weather, and the boom in UK staycations last year.  While new cylinders have been ordered in significant quantities for 2021, demand has continued to grow and is leading to some shortages. Orders for new cylinders were placed well in advance to meet the expected significant demand, but the lead times for cylinders, which are manufactured overseas, have been significantly longer than previous years, caused by continued COVID issues in the manufacturing locations, increased global steel demand, and increased global shipping demand. In addition to new cylinders, we are working hard to refurbish existing stock at record levels to put as many cylinders into service as possible. 

We apologise for any inconvenience you might be experiencing, and we’re working hard to increase our supply.  Whilst we continue to increase the cylinders in circulation, we are also encouraging customers to help us by returning any empty or unused cylinders to improve availability. You can return a cylinder by contacting your local Calor Centre and making an appointment.

Social Distancing and Safety Measures

To enable us to maintain our infrastructure and service of supplying fuel, we have instructed our drivers and engineers to reduce and restrict the amount of contact they have while completing their duties. This will mean that, where possible, deliveries and engineering work will be made without announcing arrival and without any customer contact.  

In line with the current situation, we will not be requesting customers to sign for delivery and will simply note the name of the customer on the delivery system. Our delivery drivers will not pass a handheld device for customers to sign after delivering. For bulk customers, we will detail the serial number of the tank on the delivery note to show the driver has physically been to the tank to make the delivery.

Whilst our driver or engineer is at your home or business, they will wear gloves throughout. Our frontline teams have all been briefed on social distancing requirements and will maintain a 2m distance from others throughout their time on site. We respectfully request that you also adhere to this protocol.

Contacting us

We have lots of useful information on our website and you can find answers to frequently asked questions related to COVID-19 below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact us directly by phone, email or via our social media channels. Our customer support teams are very busy at the moment, but please bear with us and we will respond as soon as we can.

We have implemented all of the measures above to maintain service levels with the health and safety of our people and our customers as a priority.

We’re currently experiencing unprecedented demand and we’re doing our best to help assist you as quickly as possible. We kindly ask that you treat our agents with respect. We will not accept abusive behaviour towards them.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Southwold Topaz replied on 24/06/2021 16:14

Posted on 24/06/2021 15:55 by

What about the 3.9kg Propane? Is that available?

Posted on 24/06/2021 16:14

No it seems not....the chap at Norwich Calor Centre had not seen one 3.9 Propane  bottle come in for 3 months

Sharktale replied on 27/06/2021 09:08

Posted on 27/06/2021 09:08

I have an almost full 4.5kg calor bottle im selling if someone needs it. I've moved to propane. Obviously, I don't need your exchange bottle. Was going to put it online for sale but would rather let someone on here have first dibs. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook