Cadic grillogas BBQ

huskydog replied on 18/05/2017 13:38

Posted on 18/05/2017 13:38

I am looking at buying a BBQ, and think that this one would fit my needs , has anyone got one ,and is it any good or are there better ones  ???, we would only use it for BBQ's and not main cooking !!!

commeyras replied on 18/05/2017 14:07

Posted on 18/05/2017 14:07

Have a Cadac Safari which is cheaper than the Grillogas.  The main difference is that the Grillogas is on a higher stand than the Safari.  We use it all the time when on holiday for both BBQ'ing and 'normal' cooking.

JayEss replied on 18/05/2017 14:13

Posted on 18/05/2017 14:13

The safari did for us until we got a Cobb. Now the safari is somewhere at the back of the shed with all the other stuff we thought was going to be great 

grillogas looks good husky. Too big for us so we went for the safari 

SallyD replied on 18/05/2017 19:35

Posted on 18/05/2017 19:35

What you need to remember is that these things today are not BBQ's - they are grill pans, there is no element of coals like a proper older style BBQ. Even Webber's are no longer bbq's

Merve replied on 18/05/2017 23:12

Posted on 18/05/2017 23:12

Webers are not BBQS? What rot! 😂 Cadacs are grills not BBQS. If my weber( which I consider probably the best and most versatile BBQ in the world) is not a bbq then nothing is. I cook with charcoal and smoke the food sometimes- it's a BBQ alright! 

SteveL replied on 19/05/2017 07:12

Posted on 19/05/2017 07:12

We originally bought the grillogas about 11 years ago. However, found it rather large and heavy to cart about, so bought the safari chef about 8 years ago, and have rarely used the grillogas since. The safari is plenty big enough for two and we have used it with four, cooking in batches. However, if your back is anything like mine, you do need a sturdy table to put it on. It is good as a BBQ, you can get the smokey taste by adding some herbs which smoke away on the plate. BBQ'd a large sea bream (big enough for two) the other night, cooked a treat. The other advantage, is that in colder weather it works better than the grillogas. We still like to BBQ and eat in, even when the temps go down, and it was always difficult getting enough heat into the larger grillogas. They are also very good for cooking bacon and eggs and not splattering the inside of the caravan with fat. 

peedee replied on 19/05/2017 07:32

Posted on 18/05/2017 23:12 by Merve

Webers are not BBQS? What rot! 😂 Cadacs are grills not BBQS. If my weber( which I consider probably the best and most versatile BBQ in the world) is not a bbq then nothing is. I cook with charcoal and smoke the food sometimes- it's a BBQ alright! 

Posted on 19/05/2017 07:32

If the Weber uses gas then it is not a BBQ in my book. I have just bought one of >these< to replace a rusting old portable charcoal BBQ. Its very well made but I would rate it as semi portable. Its rather heavy and does not come appart for easy storage so has to be carried as seen in the picture. Its main attraction was the quality and the adjustable height grill which so many do not have. It will probably get more use at home.

Getting back to the the Grillogas, I have also have one of these. Its main advantage is it is quick to use, stores relatively easily and is easy to clean. What I do not like about it is it is difficult to regulate the gas flow. There is no position indication on the control knob and you cannot see the flame and if you turn it too low and it goes out, its a hell of a job to relight it. It would be better with an igniter rather than having to remove a hot grill plate and use a match. If you do decide to buy one of these I recommend you buy it wth the dome. If you don't your cooking is exposed to the wind and the elements which results in a huge heat loss and cooking takes much longer and more gas is consumed.

The Cobb is great for cooking joints, but don't be in a hurry and they are rather messy to clean. Used my Cob the other week when doing a family BBQ

peedee

Image may contain: outdoor

ArthurandJean replied on 19/05/2017 17:04

Posted on 19/05/2017 08:36 by huskydog

Thanks for all your answers ,  a bit more homework needed !!!!!!

Posted on 19/05/2017 17:04

We have used a Grillogas for 3 years now and find it very good. We have previously used an Outback weekender which has lava rock and you get some of the BBQ effect from those.  As already said, it's not a true BBQ, more a grill/hotplate but it cooks very well especially with the lid in place. It's brilliant for cooking breakfasts using the flat side of the plate. It is easy to assemble and fits in a convenient space in the van. Recommended for ease of use.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook