Buying second hand sat navs - lifetime maps

Henk de Geus replied on 30/04/2019 18:19

Posted on 30/04/2019 18:19

This is my first post so please be gentle. 

I’m looking to purchase a sat nav.

As I’m new to caravanning, I’d like to buy second hand where possible to keep costs down. 

I’m very interested in the Avtex Tourer One Caravan and Motorhome Club edition. 

Has anyone purchased the Avtex Tourer One Caravan and Motorhome Club edition second hand and successfully registered it to themselves to continue receiving lifetime map updates. 

Not sure whether the maps element is transferable.

I contacted Avtex but they stated the maps element is with Garmin. 

Tried phoning Garmin but got a voice message that their phone line was not available. To email them you need a serial number.

They don’t make it easy.

Thanks in advance for advice. 

Henk

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2019 18:43

Posted on 30/04/2019 18:43

To be honest, I don’t think the club’s edition of the sat nav is worth the money.

I would buy a new but cheaper version in your situation.

To update maps you need a Garmin account and, if a sat nav is registered on someone else's account, you are going to have difficulties.

Also, people tend to dispose of sat navs if they’re old or giving trouble so you could be buying trouble.

cyberyacht replied on 01/05/2019 07:42

Posted on 01/05/2019 07:42

I have an old TomTom 700 which I bought s/h off Ebay about nine years ago. The maps have never been updated and now this model is not even supported. Still works pretty well and better than the built -in TomTom on my Peugeot MH which seems to have some really funny ideas about routes.

replied on 01/05/2019 07:58

Posted on 01/05/2019 07:58

To update maps you need a Garmin account and, if a sat nav is registered on someone else's account, you are going to have difficulties.

Neighbour has a TomTom that I update for him. Registration only needed an e-mail and password. He kept loosing the e-mail info and so I phoned them and changed the registered e-mail to mine.

dmiller555 replied on 01/05/2019 08:04

Posted on 01/05/2019 08:04

Not answering your question directly but I thought it might help to mention that CoPilot market a very good caravan/motorhome satnav App for phone or tablet, which both very good and cheap and may help you.

I've been using the caravan version for several years. 

replied on 01/05/2019 08:06

Posted on 01/05/2019 08:06

Tried phoning Garmin but got a voice message that their phone line was not available. To email them you need a serial number

on my TomTom the serial number is stuck onto the unit

SteveL replied on 01/05/2019 08:11

Posted on 01/05/2019 07:42 by cyberyacht

I have an old TomTom 700 which I bought s/h off Ebay about nine years ago. The maps have never been updated and now this model is not even supported. Still works pretty well and better than the built -in TomTom on my Peugeot MH which seems to have some really funny ideas about routes.

Posted on 01/05/2019 08:11

Your lucky your old Tom Tom still works. There was a GPS week rollover on the 6th April. Apparently they count weeks up to 99,999 and then reset, so every 19 years. Some older TT's were incapable of handling it and the only recourse was to replace.

So worth checking it still functions properly if OP buys one second hand.

When I registered the unit I bought for the OH recently it suggested I check it, which I though rather odd, it was brand new.  I would have been rather annoyed if they had sold me something that was obsolete. Clearly not just the CC website with its issues.😂

redface replied on 01/05/2019 21:04

Posted on 01/05/2019 21:04

Oddly enough my T-T has just packed up saying it could not find the satellite signal.  On phoning the company they told me it was an old model and expected me to buy a new one.

I suspect that they have deliberately switched it off from the signal, despite it reading clearly from my drive on many other occasions, in order to boost sales.

I'll certainly NOT buy another sat. nav. from them!

replied on 01/05/2019 21:11

Posted on 01/05/2019 21:04 by redface

Oddly enough my T-T has just packed up saying it could not find the satellite signal.  On phoning the company they told me it was an old model and expected me to buy a new one.

I suspect that they have deliberately switched it off from the signal, despite it reading clearly from my drive on many other occasions, in order to boost sales.

Posted on 01/05/2019 21:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 01/05/2019 22:19

Posted on 01/05/2019 21:04 by redface

Posted on 01/05/2019 22:19

Redface, the following is from the Tom Tom web site. It seems it's more about miscommunication, rather than lack of signal.

The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions.

What does this mean for you? It’s time to check your satnav. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook