BP Light gas bottles

H1UBS replied on 14/03/2017 21:14

Posted on 14/03/2017 21:14

Hi, Having used Calor bog-standard steel 7kg bottles on our previous vans, was interested to see that our new Compass Rallye's handbook advises .. 'Your caravan is designed to accept a maximum 2 x 6kg BP Light gas bottles.'

On searching t'internet couldn't find any 6kg BP Light suppliers and only BP light in a 5 or 10 kg size.

Any advice please on BP light or alternatives for our Compass with screw type gas pigtails. Thanks

Vicmallows replied on 14/03/2017 22:08

Posted on 14/03/2017 22:08

Typical error by a 'technical author' !  It frequently amazes me that people put so much trust in the precise details in handbooks.

'BP light' doesn't even exist any more  .... it is now branded 'Gas Light' and as you say comes in 5kg and 10kg propane. Main suppliers are FloGas and Homebase.  The cylinders use 27mm snap-on connectors.

'Calor Lite' comes in 6kg propane. Connector is a standard LH POL screw.

The bottles have somewhat different profiles so you need to check what actually fits!

H1UBS replied on 14/03/2017 23:00

Posted on 14/03/2017 23:00

Thanks for confirming my thoughts exactly. Will have to check the fittings and try to get some clarification from Elddis / Compass.

Metheven replied on 15/03/2017 08:54

Posted on 15/03/2017 08:54

My Lunar locker came with two bases for two 6kg steel bottles, together they weghed 32kg (full). I now have one 10kg Gaslight weighing in at 17kg (full), it frees up the locker for more junk or being good for less noseweight if that is a problem but in reality is the ideal capacity for us.

The difference in bottle diameter is 256mm for the steel propane and 305mm for the Gaslight, but my caravan had fitted universal bases to accept either and with the 10kg Gaslight being taller it just mnaged to fit in there.

The Gaslight as said accepts a 27mm clipon adaptor and accepts a 'Butane' thread pigtail, the other end of the pigtail is the standard regulator thread.

ChemicalJasper replied on 15/03/2017 12:19

Posted on 15/03/2017 12:19

Just be careful when you collect them!

When I first got mine a few years back, the guy brought them out on a internal use trolley, the car was only outside, so I was going to carry then back to the car.

I grabbed the first one and went to pick it up like a standard bottle (good hoik)....and almost threw the bottle into the guys face! laughing

I think they are great....no more guessing how much gas is left in the bottle! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook