Bottle jack for caravan.

replied on 24/08/2018 09:20

Posted on 24/08/2018 09:20

I’m probably going to buy one and was wondering who has one and what can be recommended to me, hopefully it’ll never be needed but things crop up from time to time !! Many thanks.

EmilysDad replied on 24/08/2018 09:54

Posted on 24/08/2018 09:54

Jacking on the chassis is frowned upon & I doubt you'd get a bottle jack under the axle. I bought a small trolly jack from Machine Mart to use if I ever needed to change a wheel on my caravan. So far it's remained in its case. 🤗

Metheven replied on 24/08/2018 10:39

Posted on 24/08/2018 10:39

Last time I used a bottle jack it was whilst in storage, unfortunately the chassis is so low to the ground I had to dig a hole to put it and the base plank in. Bottle jacks with enough raising ability are just too tall.

As for out and about I do not carry one and will rely (hopefully) on the breakdown service to do the work for me.

commeyras replied on 24/08/2018 10:43

Posted on 24/08/2018 10:43

Yes, MM has raised a good point although you can use a bottle jack at the point inside of the wheel where the chassis and wheel support meet (it is a strong point).  I have a bottle jack and I have had to use it once in anger.  I had to pull the caravan onto a 'levelling' ramp under the flat tyre to give me sufficient space to get the jack under.  And always best too keep the caravan hitched up and block the opposite wheel. You then have to struggle getting the spare off that stupid Alko Spare Wheel carrier under the caravan (if that is what you have)yell. A small trolly jack might be a better solution to my bottle jack.  

lornalou1 replied on 24/08/2018 13:13

Posted on 24/08/2018 13:13

You can get bottle jacks that fit under axle as I have one in caravan. these are a lower profile than a standard one and a search on google will give loads of choice.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/bottle-jacks/tbj10l-10-ton-low-profile-telescopic-bottle-jack

replied on 24/08/2018 15:20

Posted on 24/08/2018 15:20

Thanks for the advice folks I'm going to get a low profile 2 ton trolley jack from screwfix which should do the job if needed, yes it's probably not the best quality out there but it's hardly likely to get used much hopefully if not at all. 

commeyras replied on 24/08/2018 15:42

Posted on 24/08/2018 15:42

Probably a wise choice.  Have you looked at the spec?  Will it fit under the axle when the tyre is flat? And, will it give sufficient lifting height?  You may have to raise the wheel as I mentioned in my post above. Hope you never have to use itwink.

replied on 25/08/2018 13:49

Posted on 24/08/2018 15:42 by commeyras

Probably a wise choice.  Have you looked at the spec?  Will it fit under the axle when the tyre is flat? And, will it give sufficient lifting height?  You may have to raise the wheel as I mentioned in my post above. Hope you never have to use itwink.

Posted on 25/08/2018 13:49

According to my calculations the answer to your questions are yes and yes but obviously I’ll give it a trial run .

Milothedog replied on 25/08/2018 14:11

Posted on 25/08/2018 14:11

If you do find yourself in the situation where you have a puncture and the caravan is too low to get the jack under it you can always use your site leveling  ramps (if you have some) to increase the height of the caravan. Just make sure the jack you have fits under it in normal towing trim.

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2018 14:30

Posted on 25/08/2018 14:30

Our last two caravans since returning to towing have been on Alko chassis with their own make side lift jack that fits in brackets bolted to the chassis, saves a lot of scrambling underneath as with other types of jack and fits even when tyre flat,and it works, as have had to use it lucky it was a near side flat tyre, would not attempt an offside tyre change on the road

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook